DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

• 1.  Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Sep 29, 2010 07:36 PM

Beside email notifications we also use sms notifications. (including acknowledgements) Therefore we use an external  third-party service. We send emails to that third party and they deliver it to the mobile-number we specified. We build our own notification and escaltion module for this. Now in Nimsoft we like to use this third party service also but the emailgtw and smsgtw does not support this.

- in the emailgtw we get errors like: Sep 29 17:05:25:608 emailgtw: (get_nimuser_addr) user 12345678@mailtoemail.com not a NimBUS user or does not have an email address set  ---- Sep 29 16:46:44:986 emailgtw: (send_it) smtp_send failed - 554 One or more recipients failed

- in the smsgtw we can not configure an email-adres.

The only solution that is left is to create a special script that would do the trick. So maybe also an idea for a feature request. Or is there an other option I miss?

Ashley

• 2.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Sep 29, 2010 09:12 PM

Do you have the address in the nas and emailgwy matching these must match unless you use a nimbus user that has a email address associated with them.

• 3.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Sep 29, 2010 09:24 PM
    Thanks Neal, no I had it first in the nas then in the emailgtw. Nas notification refered to the porfile with the mailtomobile address. Also tried to added to user/contact. I will try what you suggested. come back to you

• 4.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Sep 29, 2010 10:24 PM
    Hi Neal,

What I did:

- created a profile in emailgtw named SMS-AP (including the amial to sms address

- created a email-rule in nas for SMS-AP

Log: Sep 29 21:02:35:700 emailgtw: (get_nimuser_addr) user mobile-nr@yyy.nl not a NimBUS user or does not have an email address set
    Sep 29 21:02:35:700 emailgtw: (send_it) smtp_send failed - 554 One or more recipients failed

also tried putting the full m2m address in the nas rule -no succes either

BTW: Using a Nimbus-user 's email-address for sms will send all emails to the user's mobile - that is not what we intend to achieve

Ashley

• 5.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 12:24 AM

Ashley,

I believe you can ignore the "not a NimBUS user or does not have an email address set" error message. That is normal and does not prevent the emailgtw from sending the message. The probe starts by looking in the list of users to see if the recipient field matches any of them. But if not, it attempts to send directly to the address that was specified.

So the real issue is the error 554 when trying to send email. The information I found online about that error is a bit vague, but it sounds like that might be caused by the email server not liking something in the message. Is it possible that you are sending HTML and that the SMS service is rejecting it?

-Keith

• 6.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 12:05 PM

Hi Ashley

554 errors are pretty generic and could be attributed to a number of things. 

The external service you are using to convert the emails to SMS messages may not like the email address that is sending the alerts, it could be blocking the mail because it thinks it is being spammed, so check with the service provider if you need to add a trusted mail address to use the service.

There may be something helpful in this article on reverse DNS too.

Jay

• 7.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Oct 01, 2010 12:09 AM
    Hi Jay,

I looked into he 554 error and had somethinh to do with a ant-relaying rule in our email-server - that is solved now.

further I learned: the smshosting service we use has some strict rules about the lenght of the subject. (11 char's) So I removed all subject text whereever I could. Nevertheless the Nimbus server automatically adds the following text - Nimsoft Alarms- as subject on messages without subject. (and has more then 11 chars) Have looked in the cfg files of nas and emailgtw but can not find where it originates. Any clue ?

Ashley

• 8.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Oct 01, 2010 12:21 AM

So it only uses "Nimsoft Alarms" on messages without subjects? What if you just create a very short subject rather than removing the subject completely?

-Keith

• 9.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 01, 2010 03:11 AM
    Good tip ! - Thought I had tested it before, apparently not, tested it anyway ...and now it works. Thanks!!!!

Ashley

• 10.  Re: Feature-request: support for external email-to-mobile services in SMSGTW

Posted Oct 06, 2010 08:40 PM
    Just to summarize:

- wanted to make use of an external email-to-sms service.

- email-to-sms service has strict rules about the lenght and format of the emails

- we also wanted to have the ability to receive and process acknowledgment messages from that email-to-sms service

- first tried smsgtw: but that does not accept an email-address (probe expects a real sms-device direct connected, ie by a serial link I suppose)

- then we stepped over to the emailgtw, but had some trouble with interpreting the error messages, after some changes on our Lotus Domino email server (rules about relaying) and finetuning the format we could send sms-messages.

- Receiving the acknowledgments is our next challenge (we do this still outside the Nimsoft environment)