We have a existing Plex 6.1 generated application which is behaving oddly (from UI point of view) on some of the new Windows 7 installs. Application does not display the text properly and cuts it off on the newer installations but the same applications works fine with Windows 7 installs which are running for a while.
Here is the screenshot of the UI behavior where it not working correctly (recently installed)
Same application on a different box (where it was installed for a while. For this example I took at Windows 2008 Server screenshot but the behavior is same on Windows 7 install too)
I tried with removing manifest file but did not make any difference. This behavior is noticed in multiple screens. Wondering if you could help solve this mystery.
Supplied Manifest has no affect post XP as it is embedded into the exe. http://wiki.plexinfo.net/index.php?title=Windows_XP_Look_and_Feel_for_WinC
Is it the accelerator keys access setting http://www.speakeasysolutions.com/blog/2010/06/19/underline-keyboard-shortcuts-and-access-keys/
Start> Control Panel> All Control Panel Items> Ease of Access Center> Make the keyboard easier to use
and maybe check the default font sizes http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1175-fonts-change.html
Obviously your font registration has failed in WIN 7 machine. Please check registry.
exactly what http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1175-fonts-change.html says
NOTE: This will let you change the default fonts for most of the Windows 7 dialog box text and button text through the registry.
maybe this is a problem with the MS Sans Serif font for high resolution monitors. If Windows 7 detects a high resolution monitor/driver it installs a bigger MS Sans Serif font (like on your first screen shot). Therfore your application may look good at machines with low resolution, but not at machines with high resolution.
To solve this, you have to change the filename for the MS Sans Serif font in the registry.
See: Windows 7, bitmap fonts and Microsoft Dynamics GP - Developing for Dynamics GP - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
hope this helps
Thank you all for the quick replies.
Heiko your solution did solve the problem for my situation. It all makes sense as the "new" boxes all happen to be laptops with higher resolution too. Thank you soo much, you saved me lot of time.
On a side note and bonus, this fix also solved the Plex IDE's UI screens that I was trying to ignore for a while. IDE was using wrong fonts and was little bit pain to use on the laptop with higher resolution.