Service Operations Insight

• 1.  Universal Connector command line examples

Posted Jul 15, 2015 08:08 AM

SOI comes with some example .xml files to demonstrate the use of the cmd line "GCEventAddCmd.bat" command

Unfortunately, the examples for creating CIs and the one for sending an Alert do not fit together.

So, to test the command line then, I created a CI (MyMachine21) by using the 'universalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml' that comes with SOI

I then tried:

GCEventAddCmd.bat  -hlocalhost:7090 -a00003 -i"ComuterSystem:sysname,mymachine21" -sMajor -tRisk -m"ComputerSystem has become unreachable"

GCEventAddCmd.bat  -hlocalhost:7090 -a00004 -i"sysname,mymachine21" -sMinor -tRisk -m"ComputerSystem has become unreachable3"

GCEventAddCmd.bat  -hlocalhost:7090 -a00005 -i"mymachine21" -sMinor -tRisk -m"ComputerSystem has become unreachable3"

GCEventAddCmd.bat  -hlocalhost:7090 -a00006 -i"MyMachine21" -sMinor -tRisk -m"ComputerSystem has become unreachable3"

and possibly some other 10 combinations for -i and -s, but with no luck so far:

The alarm gets created, but is not assigned to the CI created previously

Could you provide a working example of how to send a single status event to a CI that has been created using one of the XML files?

And how would the 'universalAdd_Alerts.xml' look like if I wanted to alarm the above CI?

Jan

Remark for ProductManagemet:

I am using theses scripts for years, they worked previously, but with changes introduced in some version or patch, do no longer

Together with the fact that there is no real documentation, this is really a pain

• 2.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Posted Jul 15, 2015 08:13 AM

Dear Jan:

Please follows these steps:

1. Browse to the following location: <Install_folder>\CA\SOI.
    2. Open universalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml and identify the name of the MdrElementID.
    3. Open universalAdd_Alerts.xml and replace the existing MdrElementID name with that you found in universalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml.
    4. Execute the following command:
    GCEventAddCmd.bat -hwsHostName:wsPort -funiversalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml

If my understanding of your question is incorrect or you have any problem in executing the steps, please do not hesitate to revert.

• 3.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2015 08:25 AM

Hi Jan,

I followed the same steps and the alert is generated on "MyMachine21" as expected...See the attached screenshot

UC.jpg

Thanks

Brahma

• 4.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Posted Jul 15, 2015 08:45 AM

Hi Brahma,

strange.

for me the alarm looks like this:

and the CI has no Properites, but is of type 'Computer System' (yours is of type 'Entitiy')

Jan

• 5.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2015 09:44 AM

Hi Jan,

The reason why my CI showing as Entity is that...First I published the "Alert" on CI "MyMachine21", however the CI didn't exist. Later I ran GCEventAddCmd command to publish the CI using "UniversalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml" file.

It looks like the CI "MyMachine21" is not published correctly, you can check this Service Modeler under Universal Connector.

1) Please re-run 'GCEventAddcmd.bat -hlocalhost:7090 -fUniversalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml" command with below code in this .xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<Events>

<Event>

<property tag="eventType" value="AddCIEvent" />

<property tag="MdrElementID" value="MyMachine21" />

<property tag="className" value="ComputerSystem" />

<property tag="Label" value="MyMachine21" />

<property tag="Description" value="Description of an Universal Connector Entity" />

<property tag="AdministrativeStatus" value="Managed" />

<property tag="Vendor" value="Dell" />

<property tag="PrimaryDnsName" value="MyMachine21.ca.com" />

<property tag="ComputerName" value="MyMachine21" />

<property tag="SysName" value="MyMachine21" />

<property tag="MemoryInGB" value="1024" />

<property tag="usm-core2:NumberOfPhysicalDrives" value="2" />

</Event>

</Events>

2) Now, check Service Modeler.

3) If still problem exist, you may check in \SOI\tomcat\CI-Invalid.log for any exceptions.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Brahma

• 6.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Posted Jul 16, 2015 04:56 AM

Hi Brahma,

it works.

I just imported the original UniversalAdd_ComputerSystem.xml again (was identical to your snippet above)

Does that mean, that the CI "MyMachine21" was not properly registered within SOI, although it was displayed in the GUI and I already modeled a service with it?

Cheers Jan

• 7.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Posted Jul 16, 2015 07:38 AM

I saw the same phenomenon again:

Alerts are not assigned to a CI anymore, instead they are sorted to 'Unknown'

After creating the CI through UC again, the Alerts are again assigned correctly

I'll open a support ticket for that

• 8.  Re: Universal Connector command line examples

Posted Jul 20, 2015 04:47 AM

Hi Jan,

looking at your last entry:

Did you "remove" the Universal Connector recently?

This will remove all CIs that were previously created.

When you have modeld CIs, only the projection of the modeler stays in the system, but the one from the Universal Connector is deleted.

Thus, when you remove a level-1 connector such as the Universal Connector, you have to re-create all CIs again that were previously created, or you will end up with "unknown Entity" CIs until you create the CIs again (at least for the Universal connector it is possible to create the CIs following an Alert).  There is no databse the connector can query on startup to see what was created earlier (like other connectors can do this).

MichaelBoehm