DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  APM Tech Tip: Application Behavior Analytics (ABA) Server disk space management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 07, 2015 09:23 PM

CA Tech Tip: ABA Server Database disk space management

The ABA server has a backend PostgreSQL database which grows in size over time. However, you can use the following utility to prune the database of data older than 10 days:

Linux: <Analysis_server_home>/ctl/admin/prune_db.sh

Windows: <Analysis_server_home>\ctl\admin\prune_db.bat

To prevent excessive disk space usage and maintain good performance it is strongly recommended that this utility be scheduled to run nightly using Linux cron or Windows Task Manager as appropriate. To do this, use the account that installed the ABA software.

• 2.  Re: APM Tech Tip: Application Behavior Analytics (ABA) Server disk space management

Posted Jan 08, 2015 08:33 AM

Thanks Lynn for initiating this.

- Files are called "prune_db.bat/sh", by the way, last time I checked.

Also, some would experience an error like below (from Linux) when running it:

./pg_ctrl: error while loading shared libraries: libqp.so.5: cannot open

shared object file: No such file or directory

I'd suggest adding

PGDATA=$PGDATA/opt/introscope/apm_analysis_server/cots/pgsql/data

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/introscope/apm_analysis_server/cots/pgsql/lib

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PGDATA

PATH=$PATH:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PATH

to a profile (ie. "caas" as documented, and its profile, ~/.bash_profile file) before running it on shell (or via crontab) to avoid such error.

• 3.  Re: APM Tech Tip: Application Behavior Analytics (ABA) Server disk space management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 08, 2015 04:52 PM

Thanks James for spotting the script name typos which I have corrected.

Thanks also for the other pointer on environment variables..

I did not encounter any problems when I tested the script on a Windows ABA Server and I see the prune_db script executes the "env" script from <Analysis_server_home> (PRELERT_HOME) which sets the Postgres (PG*) and PATH variables.

However on Linux perhaps the "env" is missing setting the shared library path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) which would account for the error you described. I will setup a Linux ABA and test further.

• 4.  Re: APM Tech Tip: Application Behavior Analytics (ABA) Server disk space management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 14, 2015 05:32 PM

I installed a 9.7 Linux ABA server and when I executed the prune_sb.sh as the ABA install user I did not encounter any problems.

I checked further and the prune_sb.sh first executes (sources with "." command) the file profile in the <Analysis_server_home> directory which sets up all the required environment variables for Postgres, PATH & LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Perhaps there was a problem in an earlier version of ABA, but I know the Prelert Engine version (3.10.2) has not changed since ABA 9.5 and looking at the date of the prune_db.sh script (June 14, 2013) I don't think it has changed either.

So under normal circumstances I don't think we would not expect any errors to occur when running the script on a Linux ABA server.