Symantec Access Management

• 1.  AM/RM : PreRequisite Step causes EM to not load.

Posted Feb 25, 2015 04:26 PM

Hello All

I am following this Pre-Requisite step to change the Oracle DB Character Set to UTF-8. However once I set this and restart the Oracle DB, The Enterprise Manager UI never comes up

Capture.JPG

STEPS

Login to SQLPlus Client using SYS as SYSDBA.

To find Character set in Oracle DB.

SELECT value$ FROM sys.props$ WHERE name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

To update Character set in Oracle.

Update sys.props$ set value$='UTF8' where name='NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET' Or name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

To Commit changes.

commit;

To recycle Oracle DB for changes to take effect. SHUTDOWN.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE.

To recycle Oracle DB for changes to take effect. STARTUP.

STARTUP

Now Open EM UI and access via a browser.

Error seen in browser.

Servlet error: An exception occurred. The current application deployment descriptors do not allow for including it in a response. Please consult the application log for details.

NOTE : If I stop and start Oracle Database without making the UTF-8 query changes as suggested in our AM / RM documentation. Everything works fine. Hence it seems to me that when we make that change as per our needs, something cascading gets ruptured. Has anyone seen such an issue, as this is the first of pre-requisite steps when using Oracle as the Store.

Regards

Hubert

• 2.  Re: AM/RM : PreRequisite Step causes EM to not load.

Posted Feb 26, 2015 11:31 AM

OMG.....

Are we sure we need to do this step??? Is this correct??? Have we validated this step from Oracle??? Because when I asked the same question in Oracle Communities. The answer was a nightmare.

Changing Character Set causes failure in EM UI ... | Oracle Community

Adios my DB !!!

Regards

Hubert

• 3.  Re: AM/RM : PreRequisite Step causes EM to not load.

Posted Mar 02, 2015 12:27 AM

Just for Info,

I've raised a Support Ticket with CA Support to have this investigated.

• 00038115: AM/RM : DB PreRequisite Step.

Would keep posted on how this aligns.

Regards

Hubert

• 4.  Re: AM/RM : PreRequisite Step causes EM to not load.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2015 10:34 AM

I am not an oracle expert but I don't believe this is the best method to change an existing character set once the database is built. If you perform these steps prior to building the tables I suspect it would work. If you want to change an existing character set in an existing database I would export the database and than import database with the proper character set. Did you discuss this problem with an Oracle Administrator or support rather than CA Support?

• 5.  Re: AM/RM : PreRequisite Step causes EM to not load.

Posted Mar 03, 2015 01:16 PM

Thank You Joseph Joseph_Lutz

I started a thread on Oracle Communities. Found no one in Oracle Fraternity support running this, rather was criticized heavily for executing this.

So now I formally engaged CA Support to review the content. Snippet from the Support Case.

###################################

STEPS TO REPRODUCE.

1. Take a fresh W2K8 R2 machine from LOD.

2. Install 64bit JDK7 update 75.

3. Install Oracle 11g R2 Enterprise Edition. While installing I select [Production, Standalone, Typical] Install mode.

4. After the install is complete. Open Enterprise Manager UI, WORKS!

5. Open SQLPlus Client.

6. Login as "SYS as SYSDBA".

7. SHUTDOWN DB.

8. START DB.

9. Open Enterprise Manager UI, WORKS!

10. Now execute the command as mentioned in the Guide.

Update sys.props$ set value$='UTF8' where name='NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET' Or name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

11. SHUTDOWN DB.

12. START DB.

13. Open Enterprise Manager UI, FAILS to LOAD.

VERSION USED.

Server : Windows 2008 R2 64bit.

Java : JDK 7 Update 75 64bit.

DB : Oracle 11g R2 64bit.

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Feb 26 14:56:23 2015 Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved. Enter user-name: SYS as SYSDBA Enter password: Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

BUSINESS IMPACT. Our commands on External Vendor Products should align with best practises widely adopted and safe deployment methodologies.

The current step defeats both purpose i.e. Firstly, as seen in the blog, this Query has received wide criticism (including being framed as an unsupported action).

Secondly, it states to Login as SYS and execute this on entire DB level rather than on a user level OR tablespace level.

Consider a usecase where the DB is already pre-populated and AA is introduced. This step risks all existing data within the DB. Ideally it should only apply to the new arcotDB or ArcotUser being created as it is AA requirement. Hence if such a setting needs to be applied it needs to be applied locally rather than Globally.

As we see in the Steps to Reproduce my DB was a brand new install. There was nothing in it, apart the default tables that is shipped on fresh install. Yet the command corrupted the Enterprise Management UI.

Regards

Hubert.

• 6.  Re: AM/RM : PreRequisite Step causes EM to not load.
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 10, 2015 10:13 AM

Closing this thread as the follow ups is now on Support Ticket.

Case Number & Title: 00038115: AM/RM : DB PreRequisite Step

Regards

Hubert