DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Database on Central DB-Server ?

Posted Jan 14, 2010 04:03 PM
    Hello!

Has anyone his Nimbus Database on a central DB-Server together with some other DBs running?
    We are starting to run a central MS-SQL-Cluster, on this cluster should reside all our MS-SQL-DBs, which a quite a lot, inkluding the NMS Database.

First question is that possible, is that usefull, supported, known issues, I need everything I can get for the pros and cons.

Cheers
    Matthias

• 2.  Database on Central DB-Server ?

Posted Jan 14, 2010 05:58 PM
    Our first NimBUS database was on a dedicated server, but over time we added a couple of very small databases to it to support other applications.  This was no problem at all, but any database with a real workload has far more potential to cause problems than ours did.  Since then, we have moved NimBUS to a much larger server (64-bit, etc.) but left the other databases on the old server, so now it is on a dedicated host again.

While hardly official or well-informed, I suspect that sharing a database server with other applications should not be a problem for NimBUS by itself.  However, database performance is a major consideration, and the more you load a database with busy applications, the more likely they are to interfere with each other.  Our NimBUS database is very busy, so we would not dare put anything else on the same server unless it were small and/or not critical.  The performance demands of NimBUS will vary significantly based on the size of your environment, so this might still be okay for you.

-Keith

• 3.  Database on Central DB-Server ?

Posted Jan 19, 2010 03:45 PM
    Hi Keith,

thanks a lot for your answer it helped a lot, well I thinkt we go for the dedicated SQL-Server

Cheers
    Matthias

• 4.  Database on Central DB-Server ?

Posted Feb 09, 2010 07:02 PM
    We're running the NimBUS database on a shared SQL server (well, cluster) and it behaves fine. Our NimBUS implementation isn't exactly huge anyway - approx 80 monitored boxes so far, plus a number of SNMP devices all logging QoS. The database server isn't even breaking a sweat.

Performance isn't really the issue. It's just the problem of impact in the event that downtime is needed on the box :smileyhappy: