Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

• 1.  Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 05, 2010 04:10 AM
    Is it possible to financially enable a 'role' type resource so that it populates in the Cost Plan. Currently when we create a cost plan and there is a role assigned to a task, we receive an alert when copying from assignments.  The message is as follows:  One or more resources in the staff plan is not financially enabled. Do you want to proceed? Click Yes to create a financial plan with only the valid staff plan data. Click No to cancel the process.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

• 2.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 05, 2010 07:02 AM
    Hi,  You need to financially enable the role and then role must be defined in the Rate matrix.The role must be treated the same like the named labour resources.For pipeline projects@ initial stage no named resources will be there only roles will be added like PM,Business Analyst.When you want to forecast for that project via cost plan the roles must be financially enabled and must be defined in the Admin-->Manage Rate Matrix.The rate,standardcost,Actual cost must be defined for each Role.The role can be combined with other columns like Location,grade and then rate,standardcost,Actual cost can be defined (It depends on your organisation needs).The created rate matrixes must be tagged to the project in the project-->financials.Based on that the rate/cost defined in the matrix for that role the cost will be calculated and shown in the cost plan.  You can go through the Administration Guide for defining rate matrixes and project mgmt guide for cost plan and also search the KB and posts.
       cheers,  sundar      

• 3.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 05, 2010 07:27 AM
    Thanks Sundar for your reply. The roles (ex: Business Analyst, Developer, PM, etc) are setup in our rate matrix however I have no idea how to financially enable them. What are the steps to financially enable a role?

• 4.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 05, 2010 07:58 AM
    Hi,         It's not possible to financially enable for a role type resource. The financial tab doesn't appeared, when you create a role type resource or edit the existing role type resource.    ThanksSenthil.

• 5.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 05, 2010 08:53 AM
    There is an earlier threadRole Department Field  Martti K.

• 6.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 05, 2010 11:01 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi,  Yes the roles cannot be financially enabled but it should be defined in an Rate matrix.(i have wrongly mentioned that in my earlier reply).only for the named resources should be
    financially enabled and then it will check the project financial properties-->Rate Matrix what rate matrix is defined then it will pick up the rate from that matrix for the resource (It willconsider the columns defined in the financials) and will show in the cost plan.  In the cost plan for an role it will directly take the cost from the rate matrix.  There are some Prerequisites for Financial Planning,if it satisfied only it will allow us to do an financial planning.      * An entity must exist.
          * Fiscal time periods must be defined and activated at the entity level.
          * Plan defaults must be defined at the entity level for Group by and Sub-group by line item groups if you want the defaults to automatically populate a new plan.
          * The investment or service must exist.
          * Users must have access rights to work with financial planning.  i have tested for an project by adding a Role and defined an entry for that role in rate matrix.Even though i have added the project role and every thing is perfectly defined in the rate matrixit throws an Alert message. (Snapshots enclosed).    Alert Message:-  One or more resources in the staff plan do not have a project role or primary role. Do you want to proceed? Click Yes to create a financial plan with only the valid staff plan data.Click No to cancel the process.  i have clicked "yes" and created an cost plan.  Note:--      Logically a role will not have a primary role.i think it is an generic validaion done by CA for both resource and role   that's why it is throwing this alert.You can click "yes" and proceed to create the cost plan. If there is an real issue then it will not allow to create an cost plan itself.  cheers,sundar

Attachment(s)

• 7.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 06, 2010 11:01 AM
    So to take this one step further...  1) You can have  the same role staffed to the  project multiple times, but it will only show up once in the cost plan. The second  role in the staff plan will  have a (#) after the name, where # is the next in sequence.  For instance I added the  architect role twice in my example so I have 'Architect' and 'Architect 2'. Yet in my Cost plan I only have one 'Architect' but the cost is teh total of both architects.  2) You can enter transactions against the task for that a specific role. Please note that the transaction is for the resource selected, but the role selected for the transaction has the actuals against it. So basically my PM enters a transaction for 10 units against my 'Architect' role. The trasnaction is posted to WIP, then the 'Post transactions to Financials' job is run, followed by the the 'Import Financial Actuals' job is run. The end result is my cost plan (or budget plan) will reflect the actuals posted to the role defined, while in the task my PM is now listed with the 'Actuals' or in other words the units. The Actuals for the role defined in the task is not updated. Also, Actuals cannot be updated via the 'Edit Mode'.  Hope this helps as well.  One note, take care when you define the 'Group By' and 'Sub-Goup By'. If you do not do it correctly your cost plan could be empty. During my tests  I used various settings and had a few empty results. When 'Sub-Grouped By' 'Charge Code' everything went well. I was just experimenting.  Regards,Michael

• 8.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 06, 2010 12:46 PM
    Just for the kicks of it I made a test, too.Created a project with only roles assigned to tasks.  Note that the roles are not financially enabled.Created cost plans1. from staff plan assignments2. from staff plan allocations3. manuallyGrouping by roles 8select only the roles in the project staff, no sub grouping.No errors in any of the three (after extending the validity of the rates from 31.12.2009 to a future date)Prior to creating the plans I opened the plan in OWB and gave the roles the same primary role, project role and assignment role, ie Architect for Architect for all three roles?and which option to create the plan?  This was in v12SP5.  Which version is it that gives the error about roles not being financially enabled.  Martti K. Message Edited by another_martink on 07-01-2010 12:47 AM [left]

• 9.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 07, 2010 04:49 AM
    My testing was done directly in Clarity with not use of MSP or OWB, and on Version 12 SP5.

• 10.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 07, 2010 07:39 AM
    Hi,  
    The below Alert Message is thrown in 12sp 5.  One or more resources in the staff plan do not have a project role or primary role. Do you want to proceed? Click Yes to create a financial plan with only the valid staff plan data.Click No to cancel the process.    cheers,sundar

• 11.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 07, 2010 10:05 AM
    IMHO So the error message is slightly different, but you can still read it: in order to create a financial plan grouped by roles only those with designated primary and project role will be used.  That is when you have you project staff consisting of resources and roles it is not the name column that counts, but the primary role and project role column values. If they are blank the record will not be used for grouping.  Martti K.

• 12.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Jan 07, 2010 12:41 PM
    Neither does the initial error message from CLEisne     exactly say that it is a role that is not financially enabled.

One or more resources in the staff plan is not financially enabled. Do you want to proceed? Click Yes to create a financial plan with only the valid staff plan data. Click No to cancel the process.  Another test in r8.1SP2 did not give any error with roles either. Roles do not have primary role in Clarity and apparently it is difficult to add in Clarity. Primary role added to resource list is not editable and the field added to edit labor role properties view does   not appear to be visible. For roles tthe project role is automatically the same as the role. With project role only no error message creating a cost plan.  So it looks as if the error messages come from named resources missing attribute values and not from roles.  Martti K.

• 13.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Mar 01, 2010 01:12 AM
    If the Cost Plan is using one the Financial Group by's, Transaction Class or the LOV's, then project team members should be financially enabled.If the Plan uses Charge Code or Roles in its Group by's, then the financial status of the project team members is not considered.Roles cannot be financially enabled so any attempt to generate a plan grouped or sub grouped by Transaction Class or LOV will encounter the error.Roles and named resources need a matrix entry inside the project's date range in order to return a value.  

• 14.  RE: Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan

Posted Mar 01, 2011 06:42 PM
    Hi all.
    Please Comment & Promote if you think Financially Enabling Roles will provide value to your organization.

[size=7] Click Here for Idea: Ability to financially enable roles so that Transaction Class may be used for forecasting.[size].

• 15.  Re: Financially Enabling Roles to Populate in Cost Plan
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2014 07:37 PM

In Clarity 13.3 you can financially enable roles for financial cost planning.

Also check out this Tuesday Tip for more details on different configurations with Role cost planning

Tuesday Tip: Cost Plans Grouped by Role and Location OBS Unit -OR- Role and Department OBS Unit