APM Top 20 Accessed KB Articles for October 2014
1. Bash Code Injection aka "Shellshock" and CEM TIM and TIMSoft TEC618037 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=618037 Description: The CEM Transaction Impact Monitor (TIM) is a passive network probe that collects business transaction information on HTTP/HTTPS traffic through a network span or tap. The CEM TIM is a C++ based application that runs on specific versions of the Linux operating system and does not use the Bash shell for any of its operational functions, however prior to version 9.6, the TIM installation script does use the bash shell.
It has been recently disclosed by industry experts that most versions of Unix, Linux, OSX and other variants are susceptible to a security issue that allows the execution of bash code injection. This is being referred to in the media as "Shellshock".
2. APM Cluster Performance Health Check TEC604648 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=604648 Description: The Perflog can reveal much about the health of the Collectors in a cluster. This article discusses the most easily diagnosed issues. For a complete analysis, CA Services should be engaged for a comprehensive health check.
3. Explaining and Addressing an Agent Reaching Transaction Trace Component Limit TEC597757 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=597757 Description: This article will discuss the causes and how to address "[WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.WilyTransactionStructure]Transaction trace component limit of 5000 reached, recording of any new components will cease for this transaction."
4. The RTTM Service will not start. Instead, it appears to be stuck and the Status is "IN PROGRESS". What should I do to get the Service started? TEC596475 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=596475 Description: The RTTM service in APM can get stuck and display in the APM CEM GUI that the status of the service is "In Progress". This status persists across restarts of the Enterprise Manager, and the Start and Stop buttons are not available to click.
Using a database tool (such as pgadmin III or SQL*Plus), access the APM Database, and open the table "ts_monitor_child_service". Look for the item where the column "ts_child_service_id" is "7", and check the value of the column "ts_started" - it will have a value of "2". If the issue persists, contact CA Technologies APM Technical Support for next steps. This could include an upgrade to a later release where certain causes of this condition have been eliminated.
5. An Explanation of APM CE (CEM) Transaction Time Breakdown as shown in the Component Timing Diagram TEC603709 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=603709 Description: This document explains what is being reported by the Component Timing Diagram particularly with the common question of gaps between the bars.
6. APM Webview 4001 Silverlight error - BMP images used instead of PNG in dashboards causing distorted colors and screen TEC596040 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=596040 Description: Webview corruption - colors and screen are distorted. A 4001 Silverlight error is seen.
7. After enabling SSL tracing, the Tim log is filled with Unsupported Ciphersuite warnings. Should I be concerned? TEC596473 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=596473 Description: The following warnings are coming up on the TIM log after enabling SSL tracing.
Warning: sslprint: Unsupported CipherSuite - 57 (TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA) Warning: sslinterface: network_process_packet: error 10 (unsupported ciphersuite), conn 11745060, packet 187519287, [<IPAddress>]:20843->[<IPAddress>]:2221; ignoring further data
Please explain what could be the possible reason for these warning messages..
8. What does the Component Timings Area of a CEM Report show? TEC596047 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=596047 Description: This gives a high-level overview on the Component Timings Area of the Defect including sections and report function.
9. Approaches to Use for Three common APM CE Situations - Not Seeing Enough Defects, Response Time Too Low/High, Not Seeing All https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=598247
Components TEC598247 Description: Three common APM CE questions can result in cases that require some investigation. Here is the approach that is used to resolve these questions:
Why is the transaction defect count too low? Why is the transaction response time too low/high? (Especially against another third-party monitoring tool) Why do I not see all the components in a defect?
10. Duplicate or tardy metric value reported TEC595225 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=595225
Description: The EMService.log contain many messages "Duplicate or tardy metric value reported", for example:-
SuperDomain|*******|WebSphere|**********/**********Cluster_*******Node01 |WebSphereMQ|Connector|mqseries_tst|mqsnttst|Queues|SERVICES.RESPONSE|Get:Concurrent Invocations (time=87239764/last closed timeslice=87239764); ignoring.
SuperDomain|*******|WebSphere|**********/**********Cluster_*******Node01 |WebSphereMQ|Connector|mqseries_tst|*CA|Operations|Close:Concurrent Invocations (time=87298547/last closed timeslice=87298547); ignoring
The messages are reported against only those agents enabling the MQ metrics, and all such MQ metrics are aggregated ones (calculated inside of the MQAgent).
11. How to avoid a "database inaccessible" error? TEC601074 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=601074
Description: How is it possible to avoid an error like
"10/11/13 09:41:03.742 AM EDT [WARN] [CheckDatabase.Thread1] [Manager.com.timestock.tess.util.DbUtils] database inaccessible; will check later"
which also includes a FATAL: password authentication failed for user "admin" message?
12. How to gather diagnostic files for APM products using CA Remote Engineer? TEC617156 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=617156 Description: How to gather diagnostic files for APM products using CA Remote Engineer?
13. How to save MTP pcap files without stopping the MTP process TEC598395 http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec598395.aspx Description: MTP creates packet capture (pcap) files on the ramdisk, nqtmp/tim. However, unless the process is stopped, the pcap files are moved elsewhere within milliseconds. Is there a way to save a pcap file without stopping the process?
14. Seven Mysteries of TIM Communications TEC618283 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=618283 Description: This is based on the late Andrew Fluegelman's talk, the Seven Mysteries of Telecommunications. This article takes those original mysteries and retrofits them for TIM Communication. Going through these questions will help in debugging problems. This applies to MTP and TIM.
15. Smartstortools Help TEC609741 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=609741 Description: Best practices and examples for Smartstortools usage.
16. Stopping the Autoprobe log from expanding or getting excessively large. TEC617255 http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec617255.aspx Description: A JVM's use of dynamically created classes, typically with a $ in the class name, can cause the Autoprobe log to grow excessively large. The logs are filled up with repeating class names :
Processing class com/package/class$name1 Processing class com/package/class$name2 Processing class com/package/class$name3 Processing class com/package/class$name4 Processing class com/package/class$name5 Processing class com/package/class$name1 Processing class com/package/class$name2 Processing class com/package/class$name3 Processing class com/package/class$name4 Processing class com/package/class$name5
The above is a simplified example. However, typically part of the class or package name could be made up of random characters.
17. Upgrading TIM Software Packages on MTP enabled TIM TEC617529 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=617529 Description: While upgrading TIM Software on MTP, fails with a message similar to following:
Error: No update script found in /tmp/upgrade/GEN######E_TIM_3rd_party_update_files_9xx.image. Exiting.
18. Using Web Start Workstation with Java 7 u51 (Java7u51, Java 1.7.0_51-b13) TEC606706 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=606706 Description: A Technical Advisory has been issued to address problems starting the APM Web Start Workstation. The Advisory allows users to run the Web Start workstation with Java 7 u45, but does not work with Java 7 u51. This article updates the Advisory to allow users to run the Web Start workstation with the enhanced security present in Java 7 u51 and above by taking the additional step of reducing the Security Level from High to Medium.
19. What is APM Application Behavior Analytics (ABA) and how to obtain it? TEC612655 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=612655 Description: This is a short summary of the ABA software and the APM releases where it is available.
20. .NET Agent Instrumentation of Com Objects TEC601704 https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=601704
Description: Can the .NET Agent be instrumented to see Com objects?