Clarity PPM

Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple instances of clarity

• 1.  Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-03-2009 06:35 AM
    We have  two instances of clarity one is local and  other instance is hosted by CA. The requirement is to create another instance on our local instance of clarity with hosted instance.   Is it possible while one instance of clarity is hosted? any recommendations?    Please provide any input you may have?    Thanks in advance.    Vani.

• 2.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-04-2009 12:18 PM
    Hi Vani,  This maybe something that CA Hosting would be able to answe rquickly for you.   Unless another user has an answer here I would log an issue and request from them.   Regards,Chris

• 3.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-04-2009 01:05 PM
    You have to request CA Hosting to provide you the DB Dump/Export, then you should be able to create a local instance of the same.  I don't know whether providing DB Dump/Export is withing the scope of CA Hosting?   You might want to check  out the same from CA Hosting.  THanksMuthu

• 4.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-04-2009 01:07 PM
    Vani  It is not quite clear to me what is it tha you are trying to accomplish.You local instance is on your server and the CA hosted instance is on a CA server.If you want to put another instance on your local server you can, but it is not recommended to have prod and dev instances on the same server.What you do is a second install to a different folder and then you create a second set of those services you want to run.Managing the configuration of the two instances is more challenging than with single instance.Having the two instances two different versions is something you really can't be required to do.  Another challenge is the memory. 32 bit Windows really works well with only 4 Gigs of physical memory and you should not specify more than 1.5 Gig for   the app service Java VM.Having two instances makes that 4 Gig very limited especially if that is share with monitoring and automatic backup software.  Martti K.  If you want to have a copy of the CA hosted instance on your local system the dump or export is the easiest way to transfer the data.  You could also XOG read everything and manually create the rest, which would add days to the total time. Message Edited by another_martink on 08-04-2009 05:10 PM [left]

• 5.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-05-2009 10:07 AM
    If you are installing 2 instances with same versions in the same box,you can have only one instance of Actuate Reporting(If you use it)  which you have to use for both the instances.    regards,sundar

• 6.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-05-2009 11:54 AM
    Thanks all for your responses.  We are planning to get a copy of the database from the hosted environment and create another instace here in our local environment (I am not sure if the databases should be on the same server??).We are using BO for reports. and both are going to be the same version and this is not for our production environment.  but the installation document does not explain much about how to create a second instance of clarity on the existing environment.  Can some one explain the procedure? or  can provide any documentation on this?  Thanks,vani.

• 7.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-05-2009 01:12 PM
    What you do is a second install to a different folder and different port numbers.Even a copying the Clarity folder to Clarity_2 will do that if you edit the properties.xml for the port numbers and other settings Then you create a second set of those services you want to run.If you are on 32 bit Win, how do you figure to make the memory adequate?  You can have the databases on the same sarver if you use different names and have different ODBC sources and configure Clarity accordingly  Martti K.

• 8.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-10-2009 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the information.  I am still trying to gather more information from clarity support. so in a nutshell  I  need to deploy second instances of  all these services on the same server and create a new  ODBC  set up for the new database. and  I also need to make sure if we have enough space on  the server to deploy new instance.  second appsecond nsasecond beaconsecond bg  can you please give me some advices where  I need to be more careful about?

• 9.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-10-2009 10:32 AM
    You need to be careful all the way.Sometehings I still recall from the time I inherited a two instances system and version upgraded one of them:Starting form doing that in a test environment to start with because having two instances is not really documented there will always be trial and error..If you don't have the luxury for that you should backup your Clarity and system to minimize the effect of error.My understanding is that you do not need beacon unless you have a cluster.One of the challenges is that ther can only be one value for Niku_home and suchand only one configuration in the properties file and NSA.When you do the second install you must not install it on the top of the existing one so the Clarity directory and ports must be different.If I recall it correctly the services you stanrt with niku start ... or from the Services will be the ones in Niku_hom.The second set wioll be in Services, but the directories for the executables may be wrong.You can start the second nsa, app and bg by opening a dos box and navigating to the correct directory.It will be easier if you have only one reporting instance.No comment on BO.With Actuate the second install will overwrite the first one unless you modify the install script.If you only have standard reports you can restore the first install by going to the Niku_home\bin directroy and doing nikuadmin reports deploy.Then you modify the directories in the second reporting directory to besligthly different from the ones in the first one in order not to replace the first ones eg PRJ, BIZ2 etc.and do the nikuadmin reports deploy there.In the second Clarity change the paths for the report executables accordingly.The reports will still be pulling their data from the   same database unless you modify rod. to use a different db and rebuild them before installing.The Actuate licence does not support two data volumes so second install with all its twists for the coexistence is the option        Martti K.

• 10.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-10-2009 10:37 AM
    Hi,  This question might not be relevant to the thread , just wanted to know from the members How would cloning of app and bg services impact the above ?  Thanks,Vasanth

• 11.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-10-2009 10:54 AM
    To close  app services below is the command      niku clone app     

• 12.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 08-10-2009 01:32 PM
    Clone (not close I take it) would create a duplicate of the service in the same instance which you then would configure for the differences eg ig you have one non SSO and one SSO instance.  Martti K.

• 13.  Re: Multiple instances of clarity

Posted 12-16-2018 04:07 AM

This is worth an experiment to have two different versions of Clarity on one server:

For example: version 14.x on C drive

Version 15.x on D drive.

The services name would be like app14, bg14, beacon14 and nsa14 for version 14.

The services name would be like app15, bg15, beacon15 and nsa15 for version 15.

App, NSA and Beacon ports would be different.

The corresponding Databases will be different.

Do we really need to set NIKU_HOME and Clarity_HOME, once the installations are configured and JVMs launched?

I hope this should work.

MJ