Clarity

• 1.  % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Jun 20, 2011 07:21 PM
    Greetings!

We observed inconsistent result with % Completion rollup from children WBS to the parent, when project is opened from Clarity into OWB. Similar disconnect is observed while opening into MS Project (Its a different project than the one which is defined for OWB interface). Most of the cases, % Completion is 0 (not rolling up appropriate number from lower level). Results are almost similar when roll up is reported thro Clarity web UI (Project > Task page).

I heard this could be due to 8.1 version and later versions have this fixed. Is this correct, or there is some some configuration setting?

Can someone pls advise on this?

Thanks in advance,

• 2.  Moving to correct board.

Posted Jun 20, 2011 07:44 PM
    Moving to correct board where it's more likely to receive a response.

Chris

• 3.  RE: % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Jul 06, 2011 11:46 AM
    Can someone advise on this pls? -_-

Thanks in advance,

• 4.  RE: % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Jul 06, 2011 05:57 PM
    Hi ST.
    % Complete does not automatically roll up - this is correct and by design. Assuming you're using Clarity timeseheets/actuals (posted from Clarity or a 3rd party system imported to Clarity) and you're interested in an automatic roll up of labor progress against estimated work (ETC), % Expended is the proper measure for this. If you're 'all in' Clarity, this should be the best measure for 'how far into this are we?".

% Complete is by design a manual entry (until a task it marked 'completed' and then it's 100%, but doesn't automagically roll up) - if interested, I have use cases that demonstrates why this is a good thing. Later Clarity releases provide the ability to automate updating % Complete based upon the business rules of what '% Complete' means to an organization (this is a better thing!) with an Update % Complete job and a % Complete Calculation Method on the Project.
    From the 12.1 Online Help:
    When you post actuals, the Update % Complete job runs and calculates the % complete for tasks and projects based on the value of % Complete Calculation Method for each project.
    I'm not quite sure which release all this came together in. If you're on 8.1 and this functionality would provide value to your organization (looks so, eh?) I'd advise evaluating an upgrade.

HTH,
    -R

• 5.  RE: % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Jul 08, 2011 11:35 AM
    Hi Rob,

Happy Friday & Thank you for the reply and sharing useful information.

Unfortunately, not all of our programs use Clarity timesheet - due to 'fixed bid' type of arrangement and/or the program need. Hence, no Actual hrs being tracked to drive % complete. Further, all the tasks are of 'Fixed Duration' type and not driven by the ETC / Actual hrs.

I totally understand the % Complete at task (lowest child) level is a manual entry - and ths is what is expected (atleast at our rollout too). However, we need a "Summarized" % Complete ROLLUP to be automatic (based on rollup from child level tasks).

Additionally, if I understand correctly from your note, upgrade to 12.x or current version does rollup the % complete to summary task, as per the calculation logic (even when exported into MS Project / OWB scheuler tool).

Hope this clarifies!

Best Regards..

• 6.  RE: % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Jul 08, 2011 04:16 PM
    Hi st, Happy Friday back at'cha!

Yep, the rollup can't guess what your 'unit of measure' is, thus the lack of roll up. I believe the % Complete Calculation Method came in somewhere in the V12 time fame (I could be mistaken), this allows you to tell Clarity how to roll up. This, in conjunction with the Update % Complete job provides you the automagic rollup ability you're looking for.

In the case of your projects that aren't using timesheets, if you were on a release with these features, one could set the % Complete Calc Method to Duration and schedule the Update % Complete to run every night (this is how we run ours) to provide you a fully rolled up % Complete.

• 7.  Re: RE: % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Apr 14, 2016 12:18 PM

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/20528610-53939/Update%20Job.jpg

https://communities.ca.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/20528610-53940/PCT%20Complete%20Calc%20Method.jpg

• 8.  Re: % Completion rollup from children to a Summary (parent) WBS

Posted Apr 18, 2016 12:28 PM

But be aware that although it is working as designed, if you have milestones that are not complete but all the tasks are complete, you will get a value of 100% complete. Unlike MSP that will give you a value of 99% complete.  There is a separate thread on this.