DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CEM - Disable Missing & Partial Responses

Posted Jan 23, 2014 05:45 PM

We are getting loads of Missing & Partial Responses in CEM, which causes SLA's of 40% to 60%.  We know the cause; The TIM has loads of out-of-order bytes caused by packet duplication on the Spans. We have dedup turned on the MTP, but we still get a load of out-of-order bytes.  The network team is planning on upgrading the current network infrastucture to account for the increase in SPANS across the network and reduce dupliation.  This will take some time.

For now, I would like to disable the Missing & Partial Response Metrics in CEM. Accordin to the GUI, you can't disable them.  However, you can ignore them "per transaction". This has been done and the Missing & Partial Response Defects are no longer showing up in the Incident Managent Window. However, the TESS agent in Introscope still reports them, and the SLA's in CEM remain the same, even though the Application shows no Defects in the Incdent Management.

Is there another way to disable tracking of Missing & Partial Responses in CEM?  I've heard there may be  way to do it by modifying the APM Database using some SQL.  It would be nice to allow these to be disabled in the GUI.

JW

• 2.  RE: CEM - Disable Missing & Partial Responses

Posted Feb 04, 2014 09:57 AM

Hello Community,

Any assistance here for JW?

Thanks,
    Mary

• 3.  RE: CEM - Disable Missing & Partial Responses

Posted Feb 04, 2014 10:23 AM

I have been struggling with these as well for some time, and with multiple sessions with PS & other Techies in CA, havent come across a way to disable these Defects. My major concern is that if we have this set to ignore in DB &  we upgrade to a new version of APM, will that cause any data issues?

Ashish

• 4.  RE: CEM - Disable Missing & Partial Responses

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 04, 2014 04:46 PM
    Although it is possible to execute a APM DB query to disable missing & partial responses it is not supported and does not address the root cause of the problem which as per Jame's initial summary is normally Network SPAN/tap setup or overloaded TIM.

James has already described setting the Missing/Partial Response defect Impact Level to ignore on the Specifications tab (to avoid incident creation).
    In addition the Transaction Definition Guide (Chapter 7 section "Too many missing response defects") has advice on increasing Component timeout and enabling TIM setting "IgnoreOnlyRequestErrorComponents" for a certain scenario of empty and corrupt request packets.

Here are also some older Community links that may help:

CEM: 47-71%" Missing response" or "Partial Response": https://communities.ca.com/c/message_boards/find_message?messageId=82852070

Partial_Responses WGUC Webcast 20110721.doc: 

CEM Administration Responsibilities

Hope this helps

• 5.  RE: CEM - Disable Missing & Partial Responses

Posted Feb 05, 2014 09:48 AM

Lynn,

Thanks for the information. Unfortuantley,  I had already set the "IgnoreOnlyRequestErrorComponents" in the TIM settings with no effect on the missing and partial responses. Also, the documentation that is reference, I read before I posted to the community. We are addressing the root cause by looking at upgrading the network equipment to eliminate dedups. One other configuration that I modified was to reduce the Web Filters on the TIM to only necessary IP addresses; reducing the amount of data that the TIM analyzes. However, we still get a lot of out-of-order bytes, which will only be solved by getting rid of the dedups' at the network layer.

Also, the "Ignore" setting in CEM, only works to ignore the incident. The SLA is still calculated on the missing and partial responses. From a customer perspective, this gives the false impression that the application has problems. The application is working fine, but CEM is indicating an SLA of 40%, while Average Response times are well within norms. This could be solved, by having the "Ignore" setting not just stop incident creation, but to ignore the errors as part of the SLA, and to ignore sending it to the TESS agent in Introscope. 

Is there anyother way to have CEM (until we get the additional network equipment) disable or truely ignore the Partial & Missing Responses, so that the SLA's are not calculated on Partial & Missing Responses, and the defects do not show in the TESS agent reporting to Introscope.

JW

• 6.  Re: CEM - Disable Missing & Partial Responses
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2015 09:12 PM

Closing discussion.

If this is still relevant, please open a ticket with CSO.