AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Alert Notifications

Anon Anon

Anon AnonMay 25, 2011 05:19 PM

• 1.  Alert Notifications

Posted May 24, 2011 03:31 PM
    Hello all,

What are the options available for Autosys that allow you to check the status of a job and send alerts via email/SMTP?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Alert Notifications

Posted May 25, 2011 05:19 PM
    OK then.

• 3.  RE: Alert Notifications

Posted Jun 16, 2011 12:33 PM
    If your Autosys is on Windows, you can add on CA's Unicenter Notification Agent. You'll need to use the appropriate job fields in your jil code - send_notification, notification_id, and notification_msg - and identify the manager to handle the notifications.

If your Autosys is on a Unix/Linux system, you'll need to use an external product, perhaps log watching software to parse the event_demon and as_server logs, or set up Autosys to use SNMP to send traps to a product that can receive, interpret, and escalate SNMP traps.

Another alternative is to tie Autosys to Unicenter NSM, forwarding all the messages and setting up policies to decide which to forward. You'll tie Autosys to the NSM system via a CCI connection.

The required steps are documented in the Autosys manuals, in the User Guide for the integration, and the Reference Guide for the jil coding.

JoeP

• 4.  RE: Alert Notifications

Posted Jun 16, 2011 04:09 PM
    Hi,

The CA Product Management team is looking into adding simple built-in email notifications to Workload Automation AE (Autosys) in the future. Since there are always a limited number of resources, a limited amount of time, and a seeminly unlimited number of enhancements on the list :) we may implement this functionality in stages. For example, we could implement email notifications at the individual job or the group of jobs ("application") level first, we could implement notification first for failures only and then enhance it to support other (or all) states or other triggers like time-in-state. As we look at this, I'd welcome any input you might have that could help us set priorities or specific requirements.

Thanks!
    Peter Kazmir
    CA

• 5.  RE: Alert Notifications

Posted Aug 22, 2012 05:05 PM
    Hi Peter - In regards to your response below, has CA added the email notifications etc within r11.3? Is NSM a product that has to be purchased separately?

Thanks!

pkazmir wrote:

Hi,

The CA Product Management team is looking into adding simple built-in email notifications to Workload Automation AE (Autosys) in the future. Since there are always a limited number of resources, a limited amount of time, and a seeminly unlimited number of enhancements on the list :) we may implement this functionality in stages. For example, we could implement email notifications at the individual job or the group of jobs ("application") level first, we could implement notification first for failures only and then enhance it to support other (or all) states or other triggers like time-in-state. As we look at this, I'd welcome any input you might have that could help us set priorities or specific requirements.

Thanks!
    Peter Kazmir
    CA

• 6.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 23, 2012 12:27 AM
    Hi,

The email notifications have been added to AutoSys 11.4 and are not in 11.3.

If you’re at 11.3 there are several options, including NSM Notifications, Event Management (with an external mail application), or xMatters.

xMatters does far more than simple email notifications; with its rules engine it can notify the right person or team using different methods (email, mobile, page, even voice phone call) and can even support 2-way communication (for example, if someone is notified via mobile device, that person can respond with an event to send such as to restart the job).

Hope that helps!
    Peter

• 7.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 24, 2012 01:12 PM
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding. Do we have to purchase NSM Notifications and Event Management or is it included in the 11.3 install? CA provided a demo of xMatters to my company and it is a great tool. However, we are not looking into purchasing it at this time. When will 11.4 be available? Is it still in beta?

Thanks!

pkazmir wrote:

Hi,

The email notifications have been added to AutoSys 11.4 and are not in 11.3.

If you’re at 11.3 there are several options, including NSM Notifications, Event Management (with an external mail application), or xMatters.

xMatters does far more than simple email notifications; with its rules engine it can notify the right person or team using different methods (email, mobile, page, even voice phone call) and can even support 2-way communication (for example, if someone is notified via mobile device, that person can respond with an event to send such as to restart the job).

Hope that helps!
    Peter

• 8.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 24, 2012 02:07 PM
    Hi,

I believe AutoSys customers are entitled only to the common components like CCI, SSA and Event Management. Other NSM components would be licensed separately.

I should also point out that one can send SNMP traps for any AE event, so that’s another path for an integrated solution.

11.4 is in Beta now and is expected to GA this Fall.

Thanks!
    Peter

• 9.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 24, 2012 03:19 PM
    Hi Peter,

What are the monitoring and alerting features in 11.4? Will it include NSM or something similar?

Thanks
    Dennis

pkazmir wrote:

Hi,

I believe AutoSys customers are entitled only to the common components like CCI, SSA and Event Management. Other NSM components would be licensed separately.

I should also point out that one can send SNMP traps for any AE event, so that’s another path for an integrated solution.

11.4 is in Beta now and is expected to GA this Fall.

Thanks!
    Peter

• 10.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 24, 2012 05:27 PM
    Hi,

On one hand, the monitoring and alerting features are similar to the features AutoSys has included at least as far back as 4.5.1, although we’ve added things as we’ve gone forward (like the email notifications in 11.4). We haven’t changed the software bundle in 11.4 compared to 11.3, so it comes with the NSM common components including CA Event Management.

On the other hand, WCC 11.4 includes a completely redesigned Monitoring application. I think you’ll find it’s a lot easier to use and a lot easier to wrap your head around, including the redesigned Alerts mechanism. We’ve also added some neat new stuff, like the View Summary page. So I think 11.4 is definitely a step forward.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
    Peter

• 11.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 24, 2012 05:40 PM
    Peter,

Thank you so much for responding to our questions!

So 11.4 comes with NSM and event management in the common components. If that is the case, that is great because there will be no need to purchase any additional licenses. Currently, we are using home grown scripts for monitoring/alerting and we want to move away from that. That is why I am trying to compare what are the monitoring and alerting features in 11.3 or 11.4. Do you know if there are any upcoming webcasts pertaining to 11.4's new features?

Thanks again for your help!

pkazmir wrote:

Hi,

On one hand, the monitoring and alerting features are similar to the features AutoSys has included at least as far back as 4.5.1, although we’ve added things as we’ve gone forward (like the email notifications in 11.4). We haven’t changed the software bundle in 11.4 compared to 11.3, so it comes with the NSM common components including CA Event Management.

On the other hand, WCC 11.4 includes a completely redesigned Monitoring application. I think you’ll find it’s a lot easier to use and a lot easier to wrap your head around, including the redesigned Alerts mechanism. We’ve also added some neat new stuff, like the View Summary page. So I think 11.4 is definitely a step forward.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
    Peter

• 12.  RE: Alert Notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2012 03:40 AM

pkazmir wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!
    Peter Kazmir
    CA
    Peter,

Good news!! When we were on NSM we used the Console logging. The Console itself was being watched by the servicedesk during day and by night we send the type 2 messages via sms (text to phone) to the right person. When we switched to Autosys 4.5.1 we developed our own SNMP console. So, we have ITM (IBM Tivoli) to guard the autosys log and when a Jobfail comes along it will be triggerd by ITM and an SNMP will be send to our in house developed SNMP tool (from where it will be texted to the right group/person).

So, if you guys could make this easier in any way I'll be more then happy to be the guinea pig.

This are the requirements:
    - During the day we have a console where all the errors and warnings come. We still want this, but also the abbility to send e-mail for jobs (identified by us)
    - At night the type 2 messages should go to the console and be send to a phone by text.
    - We would like a distinction in severity of errors. Now autoys just has the jobfail. No gradation is possible! In NSM this was possible.

Hope my input helps you. If any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Danny

P.S. we're in the middle of a migration towards R11.3, but if this solution comes to light in R11.4 we might go directly to R11.4

• 13.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 23, 2012 07:55 AM
    Hi,

Unfortunately the 11.4 solution is basic, as I described below. So for the requirements you listed you would still require something external to AutoSys like xMatters or NSM.

Thanks,
    Peter

• 14.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 23, 2012 08:19 AM
    Peter,

I know (forgot when I worte my post tho), but you asked for input right? So you can extend this matter in future releases. Or is this not neccesary anymore?

Cheers,

Danny

• 15.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 23, 2012 11:05 AM
    Oh, absolutely. Input is always welcome and encouraged. And I’ve saved it in the list of potential future enhancements, and we do have some notification enhancements in our backlog. At the same time, though, once we get to a certain level of functionality, I see us focusing on making sure AutoSys continues to be the best-in-class workload automation engine and relying on best-in-class notification and relevance engines to handle the more advanced notification features.

Thanks,
    Peter

• 16.  RE: [CA AutoSys Workload Automation General Discussion] RE: Alert Notificat

Posted Aug 23, 2012 02:04 PM
    Hello all,

We are in the process of moving from Autosys 4.5.1 to R11.3. We are on the Windows platform and would love to have "basic" email alerting functionality. I see that it will be included in release 11.4. Do we have a release date for R11.4 ?

Thanks

• 17.  RE: Alert Notifications

Posted Jun 20, 2011 07:49 AM
    Thanks for the help. I have since installed NSM using BLAT as my SMTP client.