password is encrypted in that file. If I create an user, how can i set password for him.
below is the error screen shot after user creation.
You need to define user permission accessing the domain in domains.xml file.
<grant group="Admin" permission="full"/>
<grant user="Guest" permission="read"/>
Regarding Password Encryption -
"In users.xml file :
a. Set plaintextPasswords="true" to the users.xml file.
Important! When you set plainTextPasswords="true", Introscope encrypts every password. Set all passwords to plain text otherwise Introscope encrypts already encrypted passwords.
b. Set the password of every user to plain text.
<user password="John Jones Password" name="john"/>
The next time the Enterprise Manager reads the users.xml file (either on start-up or when authenticating a user), it performs these actions:
■ Rewrites users.xml with the plain text passwords encrypted.
■ Resets the plainTextPasswords attribute to false."
Did you also add the user or group to domains.xml? Please follow the instructions in the Security Guide for adding permissions in the file.
follow these steps in order -
1. take a back up of your users.xml file
2. open the users.xml in any editor - test OR xml
3. plaintextPasswords="true" --> very important
4. follow the security guide to create users / password ALL OF THEM AT ONCE. save and close.
5. Recycling of MoM / Webview not necessary. If you wait few minutes, the MoM picks it up and next time you open the file, you should see the password is encrypted already. The realty is MoM can't keep the password in text format. It will change the plaintextPasswords="false" automatically.
The a user's password is already encrypted, live it alone.
6. Try to logon and validate. if it does not work, that means you have screwed up somewhere. Try all over over again. Sometime the MoM double encrypts the file and you can't logon even using the existing user ids.
I have faced all of this and succeeded.
Am still getting same error even after updating in domain.xml file. if any restart is required, please share me what to do.
As Hiko said, refer Security Guide for the same.
Regarding starting of the managed application, changes done in users.xml and domains.xml are dynamic and they get updated once you attempt for login.
I have done the changes as per guide. just renamed one user name from existing one which is working fine in users.xml and domain.xml.
Read the chapter in the CA APM Security Guide, "Configuring CA APM users and groups in users.xml".
Please mark this thread as resolved as soon you validate one or more of the answers.
Thanks it working!