DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

• 1.  Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:12 AM
      |   view attached
    Greetings all!

Recently started moving our environment (EMs and Agents) to 9.5 and I am finding that we are no longer getting half the metrics that we were before. Previously I would see metrics for backends, frontends, etc (very common items, nothing unique or custom) but since installing the 9.5 agent into the JVMs we are now missing the majority of those. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if you have, how did you resolve it?

If attached a graphic showing what Im talking about. The top grouping is after 9.5 and the bottom grouping is 9.1.1.1

Thanks!

Aaron

• 2.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:14 AM
    It appears that AutoProbe is not working did you check the AutoProbe log file to make sure that there are no errors?

• 3.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:17 AM
    Hi Aaron
    Seems like the new agent shows up with %1, indicating its a duplicate instance of the agent.
    Can you try this stop the application, Once the agent grays out unmount the %1 instance of the agent and restart the application.
    Run some transactions from your application and see if the missing metrics comes back

Vijay
    CA Support

• 4.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:20 AM
    Vijay,

Sorry thats an older graphic, I should have mentioned that I cleared up the duplicate instance name. I just forgot to grab a newer screen shot. Checking out Auto probe logs to see if they give up any information.

Aaron

• 5.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:30 AM
    Only thing Im catching in the AutoProbe log as a possible issue, not one Ive come across before.

Unable to instrument. Invalid settings provided: 3 Can't proceed because there are conflicting tracer class mappings for BlamedMethodTimer, BlamedNormalCompletionSimpleIncrementor, BlamedPerIntervalCounterDifferentInstances, MethodTimerDifferentMethods, BlamedThrownExceptionPerIntervalCounter, BlamedThrownExceptionPerIntervalCounterDifferentMethods, NormalCompletionMethodTraceIncrementor, BlamedMethodTraceIncrementor, BlamedNormalCompletionMethodTraceIncrementor, BlamedMethodTraceDecrementor, BlamedPerIntervalCounterDifferentMethods, NormalCompletionPerIntervalCounter, BlamedSimpleIncrementor, MethodTraceIncrementor, BlamedNormalCompletionMethodTraceDecrementor, ThrownExceptionPerIntervalCounterDifferentInstances, PerIntervalCounter, NormalCompletionPerIntervalCounterDifferentInstances, SimpleIncrementor, BlamedThrownExceptionSimpleDecrementor, SimpleDecrementor, BlamedNormalCompletionSimpleDecrementor, NormalCompletionMethodTraceDecrementor, BlamedNormalCompletionPerIntervalCounter, BlamedMethodTimerDifferentInstances, BlamedThrownExceptionSimpleIncrementor, ThrownExceptionMethodTraceIncrementor, ThrownExceptionMethodTraceDecrementor, NormalCompletionSimpleIncrementor, BlamedThrownExceptionMethodTraceDecrementor, BlamedNormalCompletionPerIntervalCounterDifferentMethods, BlamedSimpleDecrementor, MethodTraceDecrementor, NormalCompletionPerIntervalCounterDifferentMethods, BlamedMethodTimerDifferentMethods, NormalCompletionSimpleDecrementor, BlamedPerIntervalCounter, ThrownExceptionPerIntervalCounter, BlamedThrownExceptionPerIntervalCounterDifferentInstances, MethodTimer, BlamedThrownExceptionMethodTraceIncrementor, ThrownExceptionSimpleIncrementor, BlamedNormalCompletionPerIntervalCounterDifferentInstances, PerIntervalCounterDifferentInstances, ThrownExceptionPerIntervalCounterDifferentMethods, PerIntervalCounterDifferentMethods, ThrownExceptionSimpleDecrementor, MethodTimerDifferentInstances.

Aaron

• 6.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:36 AM
    Hi Aaron,
    Can you pls attach the complete Autoprobe logs if possible

Regards
    Vijay

• 7.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:38 AM
      |   view attached
    Here you go.

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:04 AM
    Hi Aaron,
    Reviewing the AP logs, seems like some tracers from pre 9.5 (9.1.1.1) is getting mixed up with the 9.5 agents

Few lines from the AP logs
    >>>>
    Introscope AutoProbe Log: /opt/projects/nwebtest/logs/nWeb_AutoProbe.20130821-092515.log
    Release 9.1.1.1 (Build 581768)(Diagnos Version 2)

.Starting file dump for /com/wily/introscope/probebuilder/pbd/required.pbd
    ########################################################################
    # Introscope Required Instrumentation Directives
    #
    # CA Wily Introscope(R) Version 9.1 Release 9.1.1.1
    # Copyright (c) 2012 CA. All Rights Reserved.
    .>>>

Can you quickly review your pbd set up from the /core/config , see if there is any mix up from the older agents and remove the conflicting entries. Restart the agent?

Regards
    Vijay
    CA support

• 9.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:07 AM
    I just realized also that I hadnt updated the profiles fully when we moved to 9.5 ... I left a number of pieces pointing to 9.1.1.1 still. Thats what I get for being rushed.

nWeb.profile:introscope.agent.extensions.directory=/opt/web/wily/9.1.1.1/wily/core/ext
    nWeb.profile:introscope.agent.common.directory=/opt/web/wily/9.1.1.1/wily/common
    nWeb.profile:introscope.changeDetector.rootDir=/opt/web/wily/9.1.1.1/wily/change_detector
    nWebTest.profile:# CA Introscope(R) Version 9.1 Release 9.1.0.0
    nWebTest.profile:introscope.agent.extensions.directory=/opt/web/wily/9.1.1.1/wily/core/ext
    nWebTest.profile:introscope.agent.common.directory=/opt/web/wily/9.1.1.1/wily/common
    nWebTest.profile:introscope.changeDetector.rootDir=/opt/web/wily/9.1.1.1/wily/change_detector

Aaron

• 10.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:10 AM
    Thanks Aaron, let us know if correcting the config issue clears up the problem

• 11.  RE: Moved to 9.5 from 9.1.1.1 and missing metrics now

Posted Aug 21, 2013 11:17 AM

venvi05 wrote:

Thanks Aaron, let us know if correcting the config issue clears up the problem
    Yeap that resolved it. Appreciate the second set of eyes.

Aaron