Clarity PPM

Expand all | Collapse all

Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

• 1.  Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-19-2013 05:49 AM
    Hi,

We have recently upgraded our development environment from 12.1.2 to 13.1 and in the process migrating all Actuate reports to Crystal Reports.
    We have a one page project status report, wherein there are two sections.

Left hand section has the following static sections
    Project Key Information
    Traffic Lights
    Project Description and Commentary
    The left hand section has been developed using one sub-report (one details section)

Right hand section has the following dynamic sections:
    Risks and Issues
    Tasks
    Financials
    Each section above has been developed using one sub-report (all in the same details section)

The requirement is not more than 3 risks, 3 issues and 10 tasks should be displayed. Hence, we have given a fixed space for all the right hand sub-reports. However, there is a gap when a particular sub-report is empty.
    The question is how do we relatively position the second sub-report (tasks) based on the first sub-report (risks and issues). i.e. if there are no risks and issues, the Tasks section should be moved up, followed by the financials section.

Options tried:
    1. We cannot go for separate details section because the left hand section is static and does not align with the right hand section
    2. Placing one sub-report below the other overwrites the upper sub-report
    3. X axis and width can be based on formula but not Y axis and height.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Not a big fan of Crystal reports so far.

• 2.  RE: Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-19-2013 06:42 AM
    Hi,

Try using Can Grow Option

Right Click the field -> Format Field -> Common -> Can Grow.

I have done something similar in WEBI Report by creating number of different sections and then set relatively Positioning between the sections.

Every column should have its own section and then set Can grow on Columns.

This is just my guess after comparing with WEBI reports.

-Gurjeet

• 3.  RE: Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-19-2013 08:01 AM
    Thanks Gurjeet.
    Unfortunately, that option does not work with Crystal Reports. Even with 'Can Grow' option ticked, if the sub-report is placed one below the other, the lower sub-report overwrites the upper one (unless if they are placed in different details section). However, our requirement does not allow us to place the sub-reports in different sections.

• 4.  RE: Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-19-2013 09:09 AM

info_tel wrote:

Thanks Gurjeet.
    Unfortunately, that option does not work with Crystal Reports. Even with 'Can Grow' option ticked, if the sub-report is placed one below the other, the lower sub-report overwrites the upper one (unless if they are placed in different details section).
    You have already answered in the end.

However, our requirement does not allow us to place the sub-reports in different sections.
    Its on you how you met with requirements.

I think you need 5 different sections.

1) Left hand Side which is going to be static.
    2) Section for Risk & Issue
    3) Section for Tasks.
    4) Section for Financials

Section 2,3 and4 should have property CAN GROW with each other.

5) The detail section which will contain Section 2,3 and 4.

I hope this will make sense. WEBI is quite friendly with Relative Positioning.-_-

-Gurjeet

• 5.  RE: Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-19-2013 10:39 AM
    Hi Gurjeet,

As mentioned in the first post, we cannot go for 5 different sections because LHS sections will not align with the RHS sections.
    This solution (different sections) will work great if I have one section (no LHS and RHS) and if the report can grow to any number of pages. But our requirement is to have both the LHS and the RHS sections fit into one page. Hence, we are looking for a way to relatively position the second sub-report based on the first sub-report.

In our case, LHS is a single sub-report in a single section. Hence, there is a necessity to have all the RHS sections in a single details section. Else, LHS will not align with RHS, the page will grow more than one page and also the LHS section will be complete in one page and just the RHS section will be displayed in the next page. Hope my explanation is clear.

• 6.  RE: Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-19-2013 11:32 AM
    >

But our requirement is to have both the LHS and the RHS sections fit into one page.

thanks for clearing that you want all this data on the One page. It would be quite interesting to set all the data on one page.

1) Still the answer is same but you can set the width of the column to minimum pixels and set the Autosize On.If you don't have Risks or Issues then Risk section will take minimum place. Now this has limitation if you have headings, you need to figure out.

2) Second method which is possible in WEBI is Dynamic Tables (you can check in Crystal)

lets take example of Risk Data:

create 2 tables one with the columns and one without. Add a filter to each table, one to show if it has value and other with no value. This completely depends upon your data.

keep both tables on each other. This will save your space on page.

3) Lastly Try to suppress the data in crystal designer. Not Sure how but you need to figure out.

Let see if any of point make sense to you.

-Gurjeet

• 7.  RE: Crystal reports - relative positioning of subreports

Posted 02-24-2013 03:07 PM
    Hi ,

I believe we cannot do subreports inside subreports or parallel sections in crystal.... what i could do was ..

place the entire LHS in one sub report as you already have
    place the entire RHS In a sub report .. with the details section having risks and issues, tasks and financials...(no sub reports)

In the LHS and RHS use can grow and supress where ever possible...

to combine all the risks and issues, tasks and financials...in a single sub report..use the help of union query..insert a column to indicate type of report , ex tasks/risks and issues /financials...and the group by this column in the report....

Thanks and Regards,
    Rajini