We replaced some SAN Volume Controller nodes, upgraded from one model to another. As part of this process we manually renamed the WWN's of the new nodes, to that of the old nodes so all the zoning would remain intact. This all worked fine on Network Advisor, but for some reason it's flagged the WWN's of the new nodes as new devices (green + sign) when in fact this WWN no longer exists. And these new WWN's are not connected to any zones. I tried rediscovering the fabric in hopes that maybe these new WWN's would go away but no luck. I thought about Accepting Changes, but thought that would leave the new WWN's still there. I am not sure why these WWN's didn't turn red once they were changed to the old WWN's. I'm just looking for a way to get rid of what Network Advisor thinks is new WWN's for the new SVC nodes, even though these WWN names are not part of what is attached to the swith any more.
Not sure if this is clear but I couldn't figure out how to paste a screen shot of what I'm talking about.
We replaced some.. As part of this process we manually renamed the WWN's of the new nodes, to that of the old nodes so all the zoning would remain intact. This all worked fine on Network Advisor, but for some reason it's flagged the WWN's of the new nodes as new devices (green + sign) when in fact this WWN... ....no longer exists. And these new WWN's are not connected to any zones.
in few word, you rename the old WWN in the zoning with the NEW WWN from replacement is correct ?
Old WWN = 10:00:11:11:11:11:AA:AA
New Device WWN is
->...but for some reason it's flagged the WWN's of the new nodes as new devices
if I understand you question correct, this is correct in the fact new device show the new WWN.
why should the new device show a different WWN ???
No, we did not rename the old WWN in the zoning. I will try to explain further.
Device A (old) was already zoned.
Replaced Device A (old) with Device B (new). When this replacement occurred, we renamed the WWN on Device B (new) with the WWN of Device A (old).
So Device A had WWN of 50:05:07:68:01:AA:BB (for example) and before the WWN for Device B was changed it had a WWN of 50:05:07:68:01:XX:YY. Once Device B was installed disconnected fiber cables from Device A and inserted into exact same ports in Device B (port1->port1, port2->port2, etc, etc). We then issued a CLI command to change the WWN of Device B to that of Device A, 50:05:07:68:01:AA:BB. We did this so we did NOT have to change the zoning......the same WWN is in the zone for Device A as it now is for Device B.
Yet when I look at the Network Advisor screen, the original WWN for Device B, 50:05:07:68:01:XX:YY is still there. It shows with the little green plus sign as though it were newly added. When I look at what zones it's attached to it isn't attached to any zones. So I'm perplexed why it still shows up on the Network Advisor screen as a new connection when the original WWN from Device B really no longer exists..........it was changed to the WWN of Device A.
Hopefully that clears it up. :-)