Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

SAN Connected to Brocade Switch in AG mode?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  SAN Connected to Brocade Switch in AG mode?

Posted 01-23-2019 02:07 PM

In our environment we have two older Brocade 300 Series Switches in Native/Zoned mode.  We have traditional servers and a 2 controller SAN also connected to those switches.  All has been well for years.

Recentely we added a blade center with 2x M6505 in AG mode connected to the above switches.  The Blade servers here can see the SAN storage once zoned in the original switches above.

We would eventually like to migrate off the old SAN and 300 Series switches and connect a new SAN direct to the M6505 switches

Can you plug a SAN directly into switches in AG mode?   Should you (probably not, but why).  Brocade tech support believes it will work but I don't have a way to test until getting the new SAN.  The environment will be less than a dozen servers and 2 SANs max.

Should we or can we instead zone the M6505 switches, trunk them to the 300 series switches, and then at this point plug the new san into the 2x M6505 switches?  I'm not saying I know how to do this, but would at least set me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity
    #Native
    #accessgateway
    #san

• 2.  Re: SAN Connected to Brocade Switch in AG mode?
    Best Answer

Posted 01-23-2019 11:32 PM

Hello,

as i know there is no restriction to connect F-Port to the storage ports, but i think that whithout edge switch the frame will be not routable.

If connecting a host and target port to the same AG, you should map them to separate N_Ports
    and connect those N_Ports to the same fabric.

and on another page

Direct target attachment to AG is only supported if the AG module is also connected to a core
    fabric. A switch module running in AG mode does not provide Name Services on its own, and
    routing to the target devices must be established by the core fabric.

So if you want to have everything in AG you have to keep Brocade 300 in toplogy like "router on stick".

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity