Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

7840 to provide local fiber traffic

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  7840 to provide local fiber traffic

Posted 02-25-2019 03:58 AM

Greetings,

I tried to look for the answer via technical specifications, and red books, but wasn't able to find a clear answer or confirmation.

So hopefully you can help me out with this. Is the 7840 type replication switch capable to provide local fiber traffic as well next to FCIP? We have two sites A & B, and on site B, there is a plan to add devices to SAN but not for replication puposes to site A, but for only local communication. I know that this is not something that this kind of switch intend to be used, but theoritically is it possible to use local fiber communication on site B next to the already configured FCIP?

I do appreciate your comments.

Regards, Tamas.

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: 7840 to provide local fiber traffic
    Best Answer

Posted 02-25-2019 04:48 AM

@tbene 

--->>>..... is it possible to use local fiber communication on site B next to the already configured FCIP?

you need simple to create a separate owned Zone and put those FC Port you want to use for Local FC Traffic in it zone.

Now is the traffic isolated from FCIP. 

• 3.  Re: 7840 to provide local fiber traffic
    Best Answer

Posted 02-25-2019 05:19 AM

Yes. You can attach fibre channel devices (host, storage) to the 7840 for local fibre channel

communication by simply creating SAN zones for these devices.  The 7840 has 24 fibre

channel ports that can be used for both local and remote fibre channel communications.

Likewise, use LSAN zones for local devices to communicate with remote fibre channel devices if

you  intend to use  fibre channel routing (FCR) to keep site A and B from a fabric merge.

The 7840 (vs. 7800) has the added separate capability of performing IP extension (often used for tape, VTL).  

Please mark this response as Accepted if it answers your question.