Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

• 1.  Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

Posted 05-02-2019 12:51 AM

Dear All,

In my existing environment, we don't have good enough FC port in our existing SAN switch, but we still have some free FC port on our SAN router (model: 7800). May i have the following question:.

1. Can i direct connect FC cable from the host server to 7800 SAN router and then do zoning configuration on SAN router?

2. Or i need to create virtual fabric and then create zoning in logical switch?

3. As existing router is under production environment, can i create the virtual fabric on top of it? Thanks

Regards,

Kenneth

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

Posted 05-02-2019 03:20 AM

@Kenneth 

--->>>1. Can i direct connect FC cable from the host server to 7800 SAN router and then do zoning configuration on SAN router?

where is the Storage connected/zoned ?

you can create a new zone for all the free port outside the FCR Zone, however if the Storage in in the same FCR Zone, such config not work as excepted.

• 3.  Re: Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

Posted 05-03-2019 01:20 AM

Dear Antonio,

Here is my detail situation:

I have  2 x SAN switch (let's say SAN switch A and SAN switch B) connect to existing 2 x SAN router (EX port) for site to site replication. As i found out that i don't have enough FC port in SAN switch but i have much free FC port on SAN router. See can i do the following:

1. Connect FC connection from my x86 server  and Tape drive to SAN router and then do zoning configuration?

2. And connect ISL connection between existing SAN switch A to SAN router (E port) as the x 86 server need to connect SAN storage which connected to SAN switch fabric.

See can i do it?

And am i necessary to create virtual fabric on SAN router (Model 7800) to handle above situation? Thanks

Regards,

Kenneth

• 4.  Re: Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

Posted 05-03-2019 01:31 AM

@Kenneth 

--->>>1. Connect FC connection from my x86 server and Tape drive to SAN router and then do zoning configuration?

--->>>2. And connect ISL connection between existing SAN switch A to SAN router (E port) as the x 86 server need to connect SAN storage which connected to SAN switch fabric.

sorry, but I'm a bit confused.

can you please create a DRAW AS-IS  / To Be ?

• 5.  Re: Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

Posted 05-03-2019 02:11 AM

Dear 

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Future_Figure2.pdf   609K 1 version
    pdf
    Existing_Figure1.pdf   609K 1 version

• 6.  Re: Brocade 7800 zoning and virtual fabric

Posted 05-18-2019 07:43 PM

If you have EX ports, that means your Router is in a Backbone Fabric and your other switch is in an Edge Fabric. You'll want your host to be connected to the Edge Fabric, not the Backbone, so yes you would need to partition your 7800 with Logic Switches (and connect it to the other switch with E Ports in addition to the current EX Ports). If Virtual Fabric is enabled but you currently only have one Logical Switch (check for the FID: indicator in your CLI prompt) you should be able to implement this without downtime, but if VF is currently disabled you will need to disable the switch to configure it.

Note that the LS with EX Ports must be the so-called base switch. Also check that your extra ports on the 7800 are actually licensed before you start doing this.