Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Registered Organizational Name (RON) required for IPaddrset in FOS v8.2.x

• 1.  Registered Organizational Name (RON) required for IPaddrset in FOS v8.2.x

Posted 05-08-2019 07:45 AM

Does anyone have knowledged on the implementation of Registered Organizational Name (RON) in FOS v8.2.x?

Specifically, I have a customer with pre-configured X-6 director with FOS v8.2.x.  When trying to change the chassis IP address

the command response is RON must be set.  

Setting RON is a one-time configuration. Once set it can not be changed per the command guide.

Why did Brocade make this a requirement?  

Any one have knowledge on whether you can change the IP address  without setting RON without back leveling the FOS to pre-v8.2.x ?

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: Registered Organizational Name (RON) required for IPaddrset in FOS v8.2.x

Posted 05-08-2019 10:15 AM

@Douglas Tocci 

--->>>Any one have knowledge on whether you can change the IP address without setting RON

if you are on FOS level 8.2.x, and want to change the IP Address, RON is mandatory. there is no way to change the IP without set RON before.

keep in mind, you have to set RON with Attention and correct Customer name, there is NO WAY!!!! in case of typo / wrong Information or whatever, to change the it.

RON Information are resident in the WWN card.

• 3.  Re: Registered Organizational Name (RON) required for IPaddrset in FOS v8.2.x

Posted 05-08-2019 11:15 AM

Antonio,

Thank you.  But why did Brocade implement this change?  There is no detailed documentation stating the

reason Brocade has made RON a requirement.   Customers and business partners implementing switches

with v8.2.x are being caught off guard.  Especially since you have only 1 chance to enter the info.

• 4.  Re: Registered Organizational Name (RON) required for IPaddrset in FOS v8.2.x

Posted 05-08-2019 08:25 PM

@Douglas Tocci 

--->>>But why did Brocade implement this change? 

I believe this was implemented accordly the FIPS requirements, but I'm not sure.

--->>>Especially since you have only 1 chance to enter the info.

i've changed by customer the IP Address anh change the NOR, all work fine.

you need simple to take attention, that all info are correct.