Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

• 1.  Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

Posted 02-24-2019 04:27 AM

Hello,

I have been struggeling for more than a week now. I got this switch fiber channel MP-8000b and I'm trying to use it as a native 10Gbit ethernet switch.

However nomather what I do I cannot disable FCoE protocol on the ethernet ports. I even removed the FCoE license, but the ports are still marked as.

portHealth: No Fabric Watch License
    Protocol: FCoE

The entire idea is to have this 10Gbit switch connected to other 10Ggit devices, but also have a bridge with 1Gbit switches. However first I cannot set at all the SFP port to ethernet protocol and then to state 'up' (cable connected).
    And then after I do I should be able to enable auto-negotiate, or even manually set it to 1Gbit.

Since I have exosted all my ideas and sounds very stupit that nobody did it ever (or at least cannot find any information in google on it) any help will be appriciated.

Thank you

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

Posted 02-24-2019 06:37 AM

@gnoma 

--->>>Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

The Brocade 8000 is a Traditional Leyer2 Switch, however Port 0-23 support only 10Gbit and CANNOT !!!! be set to 1Gbit.

• 3.  Re: Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

Posted 02-24-2019 07:13 AM

Hello,

So be it, I will use it as 10G only, but still... how do I actualy enable 10Gbe? I mean native Ethernet?
    All of my ports are set to FCoE even if the license of FCoE has been deleted.

Sould this automagically happens when I plug a cable and connect it to other Ethernet device?

I am reading docs on FOS 8.2 and there on every port you can switch betwean Ethernet and FCoE. However on my FOS version 7.0.1 there's no such option.

I assume it's able of switching native ethernet right? Why shouldn't it be able since it does support fiber channel over the same ethernet protocol?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

Posted 02-24-2019 08:49 AM

@gnoma 

--->>>I am reading docs on FOS 8.2....

DOC for FOS 8.x refer only to Brocade X6 director Class with FC32-64 Port Blade

--->>>Sould this automagically happens when I plug a cable and connect it to other Ethernet device?

NO!

you have to create a config from command line in "cmsh" mode as startup / running config

for more details refer FOS command reference manuals 7.1.x and CEE command reference guide

--->>>I assume it's able of switching native ethernet right? Why shouldn't it be able since it does support fiber channel over the same ethernet protocol?

Brocade 8000 was native designed to connect  beetwen FCoE / FC storage / Converged Adapter,

even tough the Brocade 8000 support Traditional Layer2 is not a classic Layer2 Switch.

• 5.  Re: Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

Posted 03-31-2019 10:14 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

unfortunately there's something very very very wrong in this switch.

I have now plugged 3 cables into that switch - one into another 10GbE switch and the other 2 cables into a 10GbE LAN cards of a server.

After enabling the TE ports they started blinking in yellow and are shown as status - enable, but state - offline.

No matter what I do like changing configurations, enabling and disabling FCoE, configuring VLANs... etc nothing seems to be able to bring this ports online.

On the other devices ports are shown as 'down' and if I connect NICs of the server to the other 10GbE switch it seems to work fine.

Would it be possible that this 10GbE ports are all fried? They seems to be detecting the SFP plugged in and display information about it (and plugged in ports plinks in yellow), but state never changes to 'online'.

SFP cables are passive <3m, but according to the switch documentation it supports passive cables.

Any idea what configuration switch, or whatever I have to set to get this ethernet ports working?

Thanks

• 6.  Re: Brocade MP-8000b Cannot believe it's impossible to disable FCoE and fallback to native ethernet!!!? Also set 10Gbe port to 1Gbit?

Posted 05-19-2019 11:56 PM

@gnoma wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

unfortunately there's something very very very wrong in this switch.

I have now plugged 3 cables into that switch - one into another 10GbE switch and the other 2 cables into a 10GbE LAN cards of a server.

After enabling the TE ports they started blinking in yellow and are shown as status - enable, but state - offline.

No matter what I do like changing configurations, enabling and disabling FCoE, configuring VLANs... etc nothing seems to be able to bring this ports online.

On the other devices ports are shown as 'down' and if I connect NICs of the server to the other 10GbE switch it seems to work fine.

Would it be possible that this 10GbE ports are all fried? They seems to be detecting the SFP plugged in and display information about it (and plugged in ports plinks in yellow), but state never changes to 'online'. psiphon

SFP cables are passive <3m, but according to the switch documentation it supports passive cables.

Any idea what configuration switch, or whatever I have to set to get this ethernet ports working?

Thanks

The entire idea is to have this 10Gbit switch connected to other 10Ggit devices, but also have a bridge with 1Gbit switches. However first I cannot set at all the SFP port to ethernet protocol and then to state 'up' (cable connected).