Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

• 1.  VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

Posted 01-21-2019 11:13 PM

Hello,

We'd like to make sure, when attaching a new array to x6-directors, that initiator traffic to the storage ports will spread evenly across Virtual Channels.
    As far as I have learned, the DID of an FC frame determines which VC is being used. more specifically the lower 2 or 4? bits of the area id. Can someone please confirm this?
    And in addition: what about the shared area mode used with the 48-port blades - these use 2 bits from the node-address-byte of the FCID. Are these 2 bits relevant for VC calculation?  
    Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards

Joachim

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

• 3.  Re: VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

Posted 01-22-2019 05:50 AM

Thanks for the link – it answers first part of my question very well,

anyway about the 2nd part of my question regarding “shared area” (10bit area id) affecting VC, I am not sure yet.

Looking at FC-SW-6 standard regarding "virtual channels" it also mentions bit8 to 9 of D_ID for 4VCs and does not mention "shared area".

If someone has researched the topic already and came to a conclusion, I'd be glad to read from you.

TIA

Joachim

• 4.  Re: VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

Posted 01-22-2019 06:31 AM
    Hello,

Yes, 8 an 9 bite is last two bites of D_ID.

Shared area will affect only number of NPIV devices attached to particular port as it will borrow bits from Node_ID.