Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Remove an ISL in order to 'un-merge' a fabric

• 1.  Remove an ISL in order to 'un-merge' a fabric

Posted 03-07-2019 07:56 AM

Hi All

I have 2 x 6505 switches running FOS 7.4.1c which are currently merged with a single ISL between them. I have a small number of servers attached to each switch and 3PAR storage array that is attached to both switches. I now want to remove the ISL to make the 6505 complete independent. Only servers on the same 6505 switch see the same 3PAR volumes

Currently one switch is the principal switch and the other is a suborbinate.

Is the following the correct approach:

Check\Reconfigure the zoning so that zones only include devices connected to a single switch (eg no single zone includes devices attached to the other 6505)

place these zones into a new config and enable the new zoning configuration

Delete all zones that are not part of the active config

remove the ISL

I have the following questions?

The subordinate switch will no longer see the principal switch - will it just promote itself to be a principal?

Will either switch show the other switch as segemented as it can no longer be conntacted?

Is it a good idea to change the domain ID of the former subordinate switch to domain ID1?

Is there anything more I need to do or should do differently?

many thanks in advance

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: Remove an ISL in order to 'un-merge' a fabric

Posted 03-08-2019 05:08 AM

Hello

The subordinate switch will no longer see the principal switch - will it just promote itself to be a principal?

Once the switch will don't see any E-Ports it will became principal switch automatically as there are no another switch in fabric anymore.

Will either switch show the other switch as segemented as it can no longer be conntacted?

In case that you will disable ISL the switches will create two separate fabrics without any issue.

Switch will be marked segmented once there is fabric conflict (ex. same domain ID, different zone config...etc)

So for example, if you will disable ISL change zooning config on one switch and then re-enable ISL then the fabric will segment because of different zooning config database.

Is it a good idea to change the domain ID of the former subordinate switch to domain ID1?

If there will be only one switch in fabric, it doesn't matter.

Domain ID is used there in switches fabrics (multiple switches in fabric) for FC routing. Each port in same fabric has Port address which starting with Domain ID. If you will have two switches in one fabrics without Domain ID you will be not able route FC frame as both switches will have for example port 1. (please check admin guide for port adressing to go more in details)

Is there anything more I need to do or should do differently?

No at all. 

For such an action its great to generate SAN health report, to review config of whole fabric

I guess it will be easier to deal with zone DB for you.

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity