I currently have two DataCenters. Facts:
- both are interconnected by two 10Gbps (Ethernet) links
- distance between DCs is 30KM
- on both sides we have two Fabrics, one fabric is based on Brocade 5100 switches (one per DC), and second fabric is based on Brocade 6510 switches (one per DC)
- I have to provide FC connectivty between both DCs using existing 10Gbps Ethernet connection
- We have ICX 6610 platform connected to 10Gbps Ethernet DC interconnect
As I need to provide FC connectivity over IP I will use four Brocade 7800 devices (two pairs) - one for first fabric and second for second fabric.
- I want to use 6x1Gbps Ethernet as FCIP tunnel - do I need Trunking license as I will 'trunk' 1Gbps ports ?
- Do I need Extended Fabric license if my FCIP tunnels are 30KM ?
- Do I correct that final solution will look like below:
- Do I need any additional licenses on Brocade 5100 and Brocade 6510 switches ? I only have Full-Fabric licenses on them. We're running FOS 7.1.
- Can I do FCIP tunnel without Brocade 7800 devices on Brocade 5100 or 6510 ? AFAIK not as 5100 and 6510 doesn't have Ethernet ports.
Brocade 5100 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 7800 <--VE_Port (FCIP Tunnel 6x1Gbps Eth)--> Brocade 7800 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 5100
Brocade 6510 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 7800 <--VE_Port (FCIP Tunnel 6x1Gbps Eth)--> Brocade 7800 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 6510
I would suggest you read through the following:
Page 41 mentions that FCIP Trunking (multi-circuit FCIP tunnel) requires the Advanced Extension license for the 7800s.
Also, if I were you, I'd use Fibre Channel Routing (FCR) and Logical SANs (LSANs) between sites. This would require an Integrated Routing license on the 5100s and 6510s. The reason I suggest FCR is that it's not a good idea to merge SAN fabrics across a WAN.
Thanks for URL for licensing. I readed it. Now I see that I don't need regular Trunking on 7800 and Integrated Routing is optional only if I would use EX ports instead of regular E ports.
Can I just aggregate 6xGE using regular LACP/static LAG to not buy Advanced Extension license ? (As It will be just 1 LAG it will be single FCIP connection).
Why I don't recommend merge SAN fabrics across WAN ? Fabrics are very small. It's basicly two switches per fabric, one switch per site in each fabric. Same zones are also no problem.
On the FCR question, start with page 38 in this manual:
As far as I know, the GE ports on the 7800 do not support LACP. They are not general purpose NICs. You have to use a multi-circuit FCIP tunnel.
And what do you think about idea of NPIV between Brocade 5100/6510 and 7800 ?
It will prevent from fabric-merging, but what about disadvantages ?
Slower detection time of problem ?