I've read through the "Data Center Intrastructure, Design Guide-SAN Distance Extension Using ISLs" posted in this community.
However, I'm still a bit confused.
If I'm asking to state the obvious, or other questions that have obvious answers, I would like to apologize in advance for my ignorance.
Imagine this environment :
- two datacenters within a 10km 'cable length'-distance from each other
- in each datacenter the following equipment :
* Brocade DCX-4S (FOS 6.4.2b)
* ADVA FSP3000, with 5TCE (AES) modules
* DCX and ADVA are in adhering racks
I'd like to configure an ISL trunk between the two DCX-4S switches.
DCX <=> ADVA <= 10km => ADVA <=> DCX
My first questions are about the connectivity between the DCX and the ADVA :
- Can I use normal OM3 or OM4 multimode cable between the DCX and the ADVA ?
- Can I use normal SWL SFP+ (850nm, 50 micron, 8Gbps) tranceivers both in DCX and in ADVA 5TCE modules ?
=> Should I use a setup for short distances or for long distances ?
My other question is about configuration of the DCX :
- If I use a setup for short distances (OM3 and SWL SFP+), am I correct in assuming that configuring the ISL ports in LE mode is enough ?
=> Since I'm not exceeding 10km cable length, I don't think I should be needing the extended fabric license or configure the ISL ports in LD or LS mode.
And last but not least : am I missing anything important ?
If my assumptions are correct, I should be able to configuring the ISL and the trunk without problem.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
when you are using 850nm SFP's you can use OM3 or OM4 Multimode Fibers between DCX and FSP3000.
In the DCX you have to use Brocade Branded SFP+. In the Spec. of the FSP3000 i found that they have 850nm SFP.
So ask ADVA which 850nm SFP's you can use in their Equipment.
When you are sure that the cable is less then 10km
(do not use google maps for calculating the length, try to get an OSNR Test result for the dark fiber where the real length is included) then you do not need the extended fabric license and you can use the LE-Mode.
When you want to build trunks, you need the trunking license on both DCX.
Thank you for taking away my doubts.