Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

• 1.  I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

Posted 05-27-2015 11:29 AM

I have a Linux server with 2 HBAs with 2 ports on each HBA. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage.

Is it recommended ?

Zoning something like below:

HBA1 - IBM Controller1a

HBA2 - IBM Controller2a

HBA1 - IBM Contolller1b

HBA2 - IBM Controller2b

HBA1 - Netapp Contoller1

HBA2 - Netapp Contoller2

I have been facing many multipaht issue. so wondering if zoning should follow best practices!

ANy help would be highly appreciated.

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

Posted 05-27-2015 01:21 PM
    so you have six independent zones here? if yes, this kind of zoning looks 100% good to me. best of the best practices.

• 3.  Re: I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

Posted 05-27-2015 03:28 PM

I agree with Alexey and I fear that even the most granular zoning won't save you from multipathing problems. That's most probably something you need to solve on the host itself.

• 4.  Re: I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

Posted 05-27-2015 04:26 PM

I agree with Seb. This is not a SAN issue. Most often the hosts multipath.conf is setup incorrectly not differentiatig between the different device types. This causes conflicts. 

This is not a SAN issue but more a Linux configuration problem. 

• 5.  Re: I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

Posted 05-28-2015 05:05 AM

Thanks Guys. Actually zones are not independent.

Brocade Sw1 Zone 1: ServerHBA1_IBM_N1_N2_P1

Brocade Sw2 Zone 12 ServerHBA2_IBM_N1_N2_P2

Cisco Sw1 Zone1: ServerHBA1_NetappN1_N2_P1

Cisco Sw2 Zone 2: ServerHBA2_NetappN1_N2_P2

Single HBA with dual port where P1 is going to brocade switch and P2 is going to cisco switch