Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Prerequisites for FOS upgrade

• 1.  Prerequisites for FOS upgrade

Posted 06-23-2015 07:36 AM

I'm planning to upgrade Fabric OS from v6.3.2b to 7.3

I understand this is a stepped upgrade but do I need to confirm my server HBAs are compatable with this newer version of FOS before upgrading?

If so, where do I find a list/matrix of compatable HBA firmware and multipathing software?

Is there anything else I need to check compatability before starting the upgrades?

Many thanks

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: Prerequisites for FOS upgrade

Posted 06-24-2015 03:42 AM

Hello Andy,

This is a very conflicting point.

I'll not say excatly what you should do, because each one has its own method.

I will say what I do, ok?

1 - determine if your equipment supports FOS 7.3: look for Brocade Fabric OS release Notes FOS 7.3 and check supported models

2 - stabilish the target path: for non disruptive upgrade, you need to do the upgrade in steps > 6.3.2b > 6.4.x > 7.0.x > 7.1.x > 7.2.x > 7.3.x . Look for a document called brocade target path in this community

3 - Once stabilished the target path, I like to have in hand all FOS release notes for the intermediary versions. I use to make a brief search looking for the words "upgrade and firmwaredownload" and check if ther is some defect related to it.

4 - Check the compatibility of the Target FOS version with my storages Microcode . Usually I ask for the vendors trhough a support ticket, but for the big storage players (i.e EMC/IBM/HDS) , there is a lot of documentation available.

5 - Do the Upgrade.

Note that I dont look into multipath/driver of the servers, because this remains in the storage-to-server interop matrix. Keep in mind that Brocade always add functions and features and it is very rare the situations where a new firmware caused an unexpected behavior in the servers (apart known defects, i.e in the 6.3.0c RSCN defect)

• 3.  Re: Prerequisites for FOS upgrade

Posted 06-26-2015 07:12 AM
    brocade target path is your guide for FOS upgrade. it is currently tailored for 7.2, but you can add one more step for the latest 7.3 recommended by your vendor/support organisation.
    for HBA and other SW compatibility, you'll need to ask your Server/OS/SW/HBA (maybe Storage as well) vendor/support.