Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

• 1.  Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-15-2013 06:41 AM

Hi guys,

Do you know how could I hurry up the propagation of a new IP address (modified from an old one) of a switch through the fabric it is part of?

Thanks,

Mugur

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-15-2013 10:36 AM

Hello Mugur.  I dont entirely have a clear picture of what you are attempting to do here.  I'm assuming you are using something like a RADIUS server and are trying to assign a new IP address.  Is this correct?  Also, how long is this action actually taking?

• 3.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-15-2013 10:19 PM

I have just modified some IPs (manually) on some switches in my fabric and I want to propagate this information through all other switches in the fabric.

• 4.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-16-2013 10:25 PM

Is this perhaps the Ethernet address that you see in "fabricshow" ?

• 5.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-16-2013 10:31 PM

Yes, Guldmyr, it's the Ethernet address shown by the fabricshow.

I am also using DCFM to manage the fabric and it doesn't see the new IP addresses anymore.

• 6.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 12:37 AM

OK, with that cleared up perhaps somebody else knows the answer.

• 7.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 12:38 AM

Hi,

the new mgmt IP address should be automatically propagated to the rest of the switchs in the fabric once changed. Once said this, I have to confess that I have seen this not happening and I reckon that is probably caused by the FOS code. What is the FOS running in the switchs inthe fabric?

rgds

• 8.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 12:53 AM

All the switches for that I modified the IP address have the 6.4.1a FOS. Other switches in the fabric have the same or other versions of the FOS.

• 9.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 01:08 AM

Hi Mugur,

I'm not sure,.... is long time ago, but as fair as i remember another user ask for same problem here in the community, and as fair as i remember there is not workaround to do that, because AFAIK DCFM save the fabric config in the own db and since DCFM handle IP in the Inventory table for discovery or discovered component, this cannot be reassigned until the switch is removed from config.

The problem is, when you remover the switch, get a risk to lost the config in DCFM.

At this point, - is my opinion -, you should open a Call with Brocade Support.

• 10.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 01:14 AM

Maybe I could try to discover these particular switches by hand in DCFM or try to remove the entire fabric from DCFM and add it again.

• 11.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 01:19 AM

this is a option to discovery again the NEW Switch IP, but i would first accurate make a backup from entire config.

Another option is, if you have a patience to wait approximately 2--3 day, I can try to do that in my LAB, however at the moment all our Switches and all fabric's are down, because I'm on going to move the entire DC from One Location to another.

• 12.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 01:34 AM

I have configurations saved for all the switches every day. So the only option is to remove the entire fabric from the DCFM and add it again. It seems that I cannot remove only some switches from the DCFM but an entire fabric.

• 13.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 01:54 AM

Mugur.

-->>It seems that I cannot remove only some switches from the DCFM...

that is strong to me.

You should be able to remove a single switch at a time without a problem, and I'm quite sure is not necessary to remove the entire config, when a user want to remove and/or add new switch in the Fabric.

That make no sense to me.

• 14.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 02:00 AM

In the Discover Setup screen in DCFM when I click on a switch the option Delete is grayed out. I am only able to delete an entire fabric. For a specific switch I only have options "Add Host" and "Edit" and for a fabric I have the options "Add Fabric", "Add Host", "Delete", "Change Seed Switch" and "Unmonitor".

• 15.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 02:12 AM

have you tried first to select the Features Unmonitor and the try to remove from ?

Seed Switch is

and as the Feature say, "Change Seed Switch" you should be able to change it with another one, without to removed the entire config.

Again, for me not make sense that the only way to change some IP is, to remove the entire config.

• 16.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 02:36 AM

Now I did but still only options I have for a single switch are "Add Host" and "Edit". I think I will open a case to Brocade (through HP because all switches are HP enclosure switches).

• 17.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 02:42 AM

Mugur,

->I think I will open a case to Brocade

well, this is a very wise decision.

Please post here a workaround when you have a solutions.

• 18.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 03:33 AM

Mugur,

I had a call with Brocade SE for another issue, and we talk about you problem.

he say, in DCFM is a features/option called "Track Fabric Change", this features should be able to discovery changed Switch IP.

Have you tried to do that ?

• 19.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 03:41 AM

Yes, there is such an option for an entire fabric and it is checked. In the Discover Setup screen for the switches that I changed the IPs the Discovery Status is "Discovered: Not Reachable: SNMP communication failed: SNMP credentials may be invalid".

• 20.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 03:50 AM

when you say you get the error:

->Not Reachable: SNMP communication failed: SNMP credentials may be invalid".

you can open the Switch TAB, and edited again username and password. At this point DCFM Discover should be able to find the Switch with new IP.

• 21.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 04:08 AM

I edited again username and password, the dicevery process finished but nothing (good) happened. Unfortunately the IP Address field cannot be edited and contains the old IP address.

• 22.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 04:21 AM

have you tried to stop/shutdown DCFM DB and restart again ? perhaps the DB hangs and cannot discover the Fabric since IP as be changed ?

Otherwise please proceed with support

• 23.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 07-17-2013 06:18 AM

Unfortunately, it seems this is a very hard to crash nut. I restarted everything related to DCFM but nothing happened.

I will try to get something from support.

Thank you, TechHelp24, very much

• 24.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 09-04-2013 02:22 AM

The response from a case that I opened to HP was: try to upgrade DCFM to Network Advisor.

• 25.  Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Posted 09-12-2013 10:36 PM

The solution is (on the switch you changed the IP address on):

switchdisable

switchenable

The interesting part is that after this operation, the newly enabled switch also sees the new IP addresses from the switches I did not yet do a switchdisable/switchenable but also had an IP address change.

I realy don't understand where this information, the IP address of a switch, in stored in a fabric and why it is not propagated all the time.

thanks,

mugurs