Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 09-17-2016 08:19 AM

I've several switches (FC5022) configured in AG Mode connected via F-Port trunks to the fabric.

When I execute command agshow on the fabric I've following message:

"No Access Gateway is registered with this fabric"

So my question, do I have to manually register the Access Gateway to the fabric and if so how do I do that?

I would also like to have these switches in INA. Switches in AG Mode can't be a Seed Switch. So how can I get these devices in INA?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Jan

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 09-19-2016 12:09 AM

Hi, Jan!

I can not tell you anything about agshow command. May be it depends on firmware level installed on switches? What's your firmware level?

If I know, it is no broblem add switches in access gateway mode into INA.

Seed Switch relates for FCS policy, not for INA.

• 3.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-02-2016 12:09 AM

Hi Pavel,

The FOS version on the switches in AG Mode and on the Edge switch to which this is connected is v7.3.1b (we will soon upgrade to v7.4.1c)

When I try to add the switch in AG Mode to BNA (via Fabric Discovery) I get the message that a switch in AG Mode can not be a seed switch. I can understand that message as a switch in AG Mode is not part of the fabric, is connected via F-Port (in my case via 4 trunked F-Ports)

Can you please provide me the steps on how to add a switch in AG Mode to BNA?

Thanks a lot for your help.

• 4.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 02:03 AM

Hi, Jan!

About seed switch:

From BNA admin guide.

"The Management application requires that the seed switch is the primary Fabric Configuration
    Server (FCS) switch at the time of discovery.
    Setting time on the fabric will set the time on the primary FCS switch, which will then distribute the
    changes to other switches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discovery is the process by which the Management application contacts the devices in your SAN.
    When you configure discovery, the application discovers devices connected to the SAN. The
    application illustrates each device and its connections on the Connectivity Map (topology).
    When you discover a fabric, the Management application checks to confirm that the seed switch is
    running a supported Fabric OS version in the fabric, and if it is not, the Management application
    prompts you to select a new seed switch.

For a Fabric OS fabric, the seed switch must be the primary Fabric Configuration Server (FCS). If
    you use a non-primary FCS to discover the fabric, the Management application displays an error
    and will not allow the discovery to proceed. If the Management application has already discovered
    the fabric, but afterward you create the FCS policy and the seed switch is not a primary FCS, an
    event is generated during the next poll."

It means that you can use only one switch, as seed, for discover all fabric members (in terms of switches native mode).

The next,

"NOTE
    Switches running in Access Gateway mode cannot be used as the seed switch.

NOTE
    The Backbone Chassis cannot be used as seed switch to discover and manage edge fabrics. You
    must discover a seed switch from each edge fabric to discover and manage the edge fabric."

this is due to the design.

Switch in AG mode is look like fabric client (port aggegator), not a fabric member.

Backbone Chassis use one ip-address for control, but chassis can contain some logical switches. So if you want discover fabric using seed switch, you must discover fabric contains logical switches and FCS enable policy from switch with no-VF mode enabled.

I hope I explain understandably...

In additional, all switches in the fabric must have the same user credentials for a successful switch discovery. The BNA credentials are the BNA database credentials; not the BNA application login credentials.

• 5.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 02:19 AM

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your reply. I've also read that information in the administration guide and I understand a switch in AG Mode is not part of the fabric and as such will not be discovered via fabric discovery.

So my question remains. Is it possible at all to have a switch in AG Mode registered in BNA? And if so how to do this.

Thanks and regards,

Jan C

• 6.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 02:36 AM

@Crijns Jan

the concept of AG is:

Server/HBA -> AG_mode Switches -> to a Fabric also Core or Edge Switch.

Core and Edge switch are seed Switches.

it is not clear to me:

where you want to connect in AG Mode set switch to ? what is you design ?

• 7.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 03:04 AM

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your reply. My design is as you described. Host connect via backplane to the switches in AG Mode (FC5022). FC5022 connects via 4 N-Ports to F-Ports (trunked) on Edge Switch in SAN fabric, Edge Switch via ISL (trunk) to Core Switch.

So I would expect that with command agshow (on the Edge Switch), I would see some information about the AG switches. As Fabric OS Command References describes 'Displays the Access Gateway information registered with the fabric.'

When I perform the command on the Edge Switch I get following output:

{switch}:{UserID}:agshow
    Worldwide Name            Ports   Enet IP Addr    Firmware                  Local/Remote   Name
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Access Gateway is registered with this fabric

So probaly we have first to solve this issue. How does an Access Gateway register with the fabric?

Maybe once the AG switches are registered with the fabric, they will also be discovered by BNA (via the Edge Switch, that's in turn discovered via the seed switch?)

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Best regards,

Jan C

• 8.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 03:28 AM

@Crijns Jan

it show as no port are mapped and no port group is created.

please post follow output:

ag --mapshow and ag --pgshow

• 9.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 03:59 AM

Hi Antonio,

I think you overlooked that this command is executed on the Edge Switch to which the switch in AG mode is connected.

The output should look like this (takenfrom Fabric OS Command References, v7.4.1):

To display all Access Gateways attached to the fabric:
    switch:admin> agshow
    Worldwide Name             Ports Enet IP Addr Firmware \
    ----------------------------------------------------\
    10:00:00:05:1e:02:b7:2c 16 10.32.173.62 v6.4.0   \
    10:00:00:05:1e:04:06:ae 24 10.32.173.64 v6.4.0   \
    10:00:00:05:1e:04:06:ae 24 10.32.173.51 v6.4.0   \

Local/Remote Name
    ----------------------------------
    local  L5D_B10_4016_1
    local  L5D_B14_4024_1
    local  L5D_B13_200_AG

The switches in AG Mode are well configured (portgroup, mappings,..) so that's not the problem.

Anyway thanks you have been looking into this.

Best regards,

Jan C

• 10.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 04:04 AM

to be honest, I ask from output you currect and real config, and not from snipset from any Brocade guide :-)

but if you are the opinion I should overlooked somethings,...... is ok so.

• 11.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric
    Best Answer

Posted 10-21-2016 07:04 AM

Hi Jan,

the AG should be reported when running "agshow --local" on the switch where the AG is connected.  Or on any switch in the fabric (non ag), running "agshow".  There are two points which we can check

1. Ports where AGs is connected should have NPIV enabled (portcfgNPIVport)

Or do you have any entries in the ACL for the management service on the switch were you have AGs connected and where you run the "agshow --local", command?

2. Please type the CLI "msconfigure" and select the option (1).  if you have entries in ACL, it block queries from BNA and the switch.

• 12.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-21-2016 09:08 AM

Martin,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We had NPIV enabled on the ports where the AG was connected (so Point 1 in your reply was ok) but we had a dummy wwpn in the msconfigure ACL in order to block SANsurfer and similar tools.

So my solution was to add the wwpns of the switches in AG mode to this ACL list. This is done by typing the CLI "msconfigure" and select the option (2)

After this the AG's were visible via the agshow command (or agshow --local).

The AG's were also discovered by BNA.

Once again thanks a lot for solving this problem for me.

Best regards,

Jan C.

• 13.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-05-2016 03:35 AM

Hi, Jan!

I can't clearly answer the question.

But in my oppinion - no.

The BNA haven't any functionality for manage AG features, besides common fabric devices performance and monitoring.

But I may be wrong...

• 14.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 09-19-2016 02:08 AM

Hello,

Yes need to know the FOS version of the switches into the Fabric that can't see the AGs.

• 15.  Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Posted 10-02-2016 12:03 AM

The FOS version of both the switch in AG mode as the Edge switch in the SAN are at v7.3.1b (we will soon upgrade to v7.4.1c)

Thanks and regards