we need to upgrade san switches so this is my first time upgrade for brocade. have couple of question, it would be great if someone help me here.
1. first phase of switches are switchType: 121.3 , current os is v7.0.1 so can we upgrade to v7.1.1 directly?
sansw01:admin> switchshow | more
2. is this upgrade process disrupt the any current IO ? we have critical applications running on SAN.
3. is there anyway we can do from webtool rather than firmwaredownload cmd , if not can some one share the syntax/screenshot of firmwaredownload.
thanks in advance.
1. Usually yes as this is just a minor upgrade, refer to the release notes for more details
2, 121.3 designates the switch as a DCX8510. These support non-disruptive firmware download and activation.
3. for syntax on firmwaredownload, just type help firmwaredownload on your CLI. It will show all options parameters you need. Being a DCX please observe that both CP's must be in sync, by checking hashow output on the CLI.
A GUI installation is for sure possible IF you have BNA. In older firmware versions you could update using webtools, but if this is still available in current releases I'm not sure. You can check this be opening webtools > switch admin > and look for a firmware download tab
As a best practice I would always do two things before any upgrade :
1. Have an OS colleague check the multipathing software is working well and also if there are no error on the disk paths before any upgrade even though it is supposed to be a non-disruptive upgrade, crazy things happen
2. Configupload - to upload the config of the switch to some safe place.
Protocol (scp, ftp, sftp, local) : ftp
Server Name or IP Address : XX.XX..XX.XX
User Name : root
Path/Filename : /tmp/test.txt
Section (all|chassis|switch ):
configUpload complete: All selected config parameters are uploaded
The firmware download command itself, is very easy, you just need to make sure , the server having the firmware is accessible to the switch for the firware path.
And this should do the trick .
Has anyone upgraded to 7.1.1 which came out last week. When we attempted the upgrade we saw a message we had not seen before "NO MAPS WARNING" We don't have any maps but the message was odd so we terminated the upgrade.
thank you Dion/Rahul,
v7.1.1 is stable tested version ?? once i seen segway comment i am in dilemma about my upgrade plan to v7.1.1
I can try in my test lab and let you know ...but that will be mostly probably on Monday..
The most recent installed i tested was 7.1.0c which works fine. You could for that as well if you like. Please have a look at the release notes as well as to what corrections and fixes were made in the version and if it make sense to upgrade to 7.1.1 or may be 7.1.0c ..or wait
from which version were you upgrading the FOS to 7.1.1 ?
MAPS is the successor to Fabric Watch. You can ignore this and proceed the upgrade.
See : Brocade MAPS – Improvement in usability, reduction in functionality | Storage & Beyond
Hope this helps.
"MAPS is the successor to Fabric Watch. You can ignore this and proceed the upgrade"
we are not using fabric watch so are we good with upgrade from v7.0.1 to v7.1.1 ?
Yes, you should be good to go. Its a shame though you are not using Fabric Watch. It's one of the most powerful tools on FOS and I have always stressed the urgency and benefits of spending some time to get acquainted with it and really improve the resiliency of your SAN.