The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

• 1.  Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 15, 2020 02:37 AM

There has been plenty of discussion of the two step login to the communities. Which for #metoo is a pain.

Now the addition of the Broadcom Bot is a further pain. A bot is is nice when you actually need one. However the Broadcom Bot is a pain. Every time while I am trying to login and am typing my email address the cursor jumps to the entry box of a message to the bot.

I really do not need the bot every single time I log in. More preferable would be if the cursor were automatically placed in the email address box.

Can that be fixed.​

• 2.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Community Manager
    Posted Feb 15, 2020 09:49 AM
    @Deactivated User I've sent a note to my teammate who is workinv on the chat bot.  I agree it should passively load waiting for the snd user to activate.

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 3.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 17, 2020 09:51 AM
    ​What is the chatbot for? I have submitted and never get anything back.

Stephanie Connolly
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama

• 4.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 17, 2020 10:14 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Feb 17, 2020 10:20 AM

What is the chatbot for? I have submitted and never get anything back.

I have successfully used it to have it send me a verification code and with that, it tells me that my account is "approved". Kinda duplicates the login page with a slower response time (cute "typing ..." prompt is cute).

It doesn't seem to have anything else to say really (it literally doesn't understand even the basic key words that other bots, such as the fabled IKEA bot understand, such as "help"). I doubt it will be of great value when there are arcane login issues, such as pages freezing on certain accounts.

But let's see, maybe they'll add to it over time?

tl;dr:

it's 2020, got to have a bot (and blockchain) ;)

These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 5.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Community Manager
    Posted Feb 17, 2020 07:48 PM
    All - the team is working on tweaking the settings on the chatbot.  Stay tuned.  ~jm

Thank you
    Jason

• 6.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 18, 2020 01:17 AM
    Hi,
    for the first time I'm answering here, becuse I have so many CASEs to handle with that I didn't find the time.
    Writing in this chat, because bot can be security problem. Taking focus several times while typing login and password I wrote my password to the bot.
    Bot can be nice, yes. But it shouldn't rob the focus. Better, leave it passive till logged in.

AND
    Make it possible that we the users can parameterize logout-time. After logout the horror trip starts again - login here login there, get key from eMail, logouedout, login again, using other machine - same procedure, login - email, wolken-login, logout community login agiain there back to notebook loged out there same procedure .... it's driving me crazy - and now huray - everyone can see my password in the bot's input -- great -- I have to support my customers - not to play logout - login email bot logout - login ......
    Regards,
    Peter

Senior Technical Consultant
    Fujitsu Services

• 7.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 18, 2020 04:40 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Feb 18, 2020 04:48 AM
    (edit, correction: in an eralier version I said autonom8 hosts their bot at Amazon, but their IP is actually owned by Google Cloud Services).

Hi @Peter Schmidt.

You are certainly correct with the general assessment about the intrusiveness of the popup.

At the same time, I think your password is at best visible in the log files of the bot and likely to the company providing the bot, called "automom8", and by extension Google, because the bot lives in the cloud and the cloud is just someone else's computer.

It appears the bot, at present, is very limited and I doubt it will spew back your password to others in some sort of machine learning scheme, and the transfer to the bot is SSL secured.

I still recommend you change your password asap as with any suspected breach.

I've also read automon8's data protection regulations and there are things in there that I personally deem wholly incompatible and outright ignorant of GDPR/DSGVO. They also gather loads of data and reserve the right to share virtually anything with virtually any other associated company for virtually any purpose. I must certainly assume Broadcom has considered all of this and has a contract with them that makes their use of our data more stringent because I am always the optimist, and also because otherwise Broadcom would potentially be remarkably liable for large amounts of their annual revenue if automom8 were to have a data breach ...

To anyone extraordinarily bothered with the bot stealing focus, I can't try this myself because I lack admin rights on my machine, but I am quite certain if you block the following host in your browser or map it to 127.0.0.1 in your hosts file, the bot would be gone:

livechat-us-west2.autonom8.com

Disclaimer, you certainly would do so temporarily and at your own risk, including but not limited to the risk of the bot becoming essential for some reason one day.

Hth,

These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 8.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 18, 2020 05:18 AM
    Hallo Carsten,
    great info .... cannot find words for it.

It's all a dream / nightmare?

Thanks and regards,
    Peter

Fujitsu Services

• 9.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 18, 2020 05:31 AM
    Hi again,
    where I can change my octa-password?
    Profile - no
    login - no

Where?

Thanks,
    Peter

Fujitsu Services

• 10.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 18, 2020 05:36 AM
    Ah ... found it
    In login-request you have to say - forgot my password.
    After that follow the dialogs.

Regards,
    Peter

Fujitsu Services

• 11.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 18, 2020 06:22 AM
    Hm, I'm pretty sure it used to be in the profile a while ago but couldn't find it there anymore either :(

Good thing you found a way. Certainly not the ideal way though, there should be a "change password" option in my humble opinion.

• 12.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Community Manager
    Posted Feb 18, 2020 09:15 AM
    Peter -  reset password is located on all of the Okta login pages are the bottom

https://portal.broadcom.com/web/guest/forgotpassword

Thank you
    Jason

• 13.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Community Manager
    Posted Feb 18, 2020 09:18 AM
    Peter - yes the IT team is the process of removing the current  Bot for another Bot and also "defocus" when we pop up the Bot.   This will keep it from interfering with the login process or taking over where you type text.    I've asked for a rollout date -  this usually is pushed overnight on Fridays or Saturdays.    thx ~jm

Thank you
    Jason

• 14.  RE: Community login Broadcom Bot a new pain

Posted Feb 21, 2020 10:58 AM
    Good to hear about this fix Jason.