The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  Fix search!

Posted Jul 02, 2019 10:09 PM
    Can you please fix search!

I want to be able to search just a specific community however I cannot

It just lists the top 10 communities that returned the most posts. Very unhelpful
    Extremely unhelpful if you are search for a specific term or command from a specific community.

In fact it is almost impossible for instance to search the community "Water cooler" to see if anyone has actually posted or has a helpful post in using the search. The video is pointless.

It fails to list all communities I want to search in and if I try searching via tag it will fail to search any untaged posts in the community, as not all posts are tagged.

Just makes me log more support calls if I can't find the information I need myself.

• 2.  RE: Fix search!

Posted Jul 02, 2019 10:12 PM
    Hi Rebecca - Thank you for the feedback. We will pass it onto the vendor. Regards, Chris

------------------------------
    Chris Hackett
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.

• 3.  RE: Fix search!

Posted Jul 03, 2019 03:34 AM
    There is certainly something in it. If you look at the results for searching "search"

The Water cooler is not listed in the Refine by Communities even if this thread is shown in the results.

• 4.  RE: Fix search!

Posted Jul 03, 2019 12:59 PM
    We brought this up to HL today. The search is finding those communities by how many times the search term shows up in each community. So for this one the word 'search' doesn't show up in the Water Cooler enough times to make the communities list. May not be the desired answer but it's currently how the system is designed. Of course if the system limited the search to just the community you were is that would take care of that issue.

Chris Hackett
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.

• 5.  RE: Fix search!

Community Manager
    Posted Jul 03, 2019 06:20 PM
    As @Christopher Hackett mentioned we are working with the vendor.    The below image shows how search is designed to work.  The search results are supposed to start wide the filter down as you go from top level community to targeted product community.   We will post updates on bug fixes to the Water Cooler Community.   Thank you for taking the time to highlight a bug on the community.  Jason

Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 6.  RE: Fix search!

Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:42 AM
    While it is interesting to understand how the search was designed.  If it is not functioning in a way that we can use it, the design doesn't help.

I have been very frustrated with this new site for one main reason the search.  I need to search for term ONLY within my communities.  I don't want it to search for the term in other communities.  I don't care how many times the term may show up in mainframes, I don't have any mainframes so results from those communities don't help me.

If there was a way to limit the search to specific communities, then this might work, but just global counting of the number times a term is found, is not useful.