The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

@-replies function broken

• 1.  @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 02, 2020 05:14 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Mar 02, 2020 09:07 AM
    The @-mentions function is broken. When one types the @ symbol, a pop-up menu of likely mentions appears but it is not possible to narrow the list by typing additional characters.​​​​​

• 2.  RE: @-replies function broken

Community Manager
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:23 PM
    @Michael A. Lowry - what browser are you using so I can ask the vendor?   I use Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Vivaldi and I can type and narrow it down.  There is a lag sometimes due to the sheer volume of Community Member records.

camby68bQIWZiwCKNBsu_@reokies.png" class="media-object tinymce-editor-img img-responsive" data-title="" data-modalsrc="https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/BROADCOM/UploadedImages/camby68bQIWZiwCKNBsu_@reokies.png" data-imgbase="https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/BROADCOM/UploadedImages/camby68bQIWZiwCKNBsu_@reokies.png" data-imgthumbnail="https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/BROADCOM/UploadedImages/camby68bQIWZiwCKNBsu_@reokies-T.jpg" data-imgmedium="https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/BROADCOM/UploadedImages/camby68bQIWZiwCKNBsu_@reokies-M.jpg" data-imglarge="https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/BROADCOM/UploadedImages/camby68bQIWZiwCKNBsu_@reokies-L.jpg" width="708" height="274">
     ​

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 3.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 25, 2020 06:10 AM
    Still Firefox on Windows.

• 4.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 25, 2020 04:28 AM
    I use Opera (essentially a Chrome engine) and IE 11.

I second that the @-mentions List in this software has been an absolute pain in various ways. Typing "@" opens the dropdown. What happens then is seemingly random. Occurrences include:

• The list jumping to names that don't share ANY of the characters. E.g. when I try to mention Michael Lowry, @M gets me an Account called "Technet2096" as the first hit. There is no "m" in Technet! Reproducible at this time.

• The browser freezing (rare, but happened - can't reliably reproduce)

• The scroll bar occasionally causes shorter freezes or collapses the list. Seems to have been more prevalent in the past, but in a Pavlowian conditioning reflex I am not touching that anymore. Couple that with the sheer number of duplicated accounts for the same name, and this is a real pain. It's also a pain even knowing whom to select when you get four, five accounts of the same name. Hm, do I @-mention Michael Lowry, or Michael Lowry, or Michael Lowry, or MichaelLowry2431 (only an example, not his actual names).

• Typing "@" for a non-mention and then continuing to type a sentence, or erasing an "@" with backspace because it didn't find what was looked for and sometimes produced strange list artifarcts on screen often leads to the editor duplicating text, garbling the current line of text, or indenting the line with a number of spaces or tabs or some weird whitespace.

​My modus operandi for the @-mentions for quite some time has become to enter as few characters as possible, avoid spaces, type very slowly, and hope for the account to show up in the visible list so I can slowly click on it. In the same fashion my 90 year old grandmother would use a PC - if that PC were rigged with a jar of nitroglycerine wired up to the scancode for the @-sign.

My remote layman opinion is that there are likely just too many accounts for that list to properly handle. The problem is probably compounded by higher latency connections, that's my gut feeling.

Best regards,

• 5.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 25, 2020 05:34 AM
    A brief visualization (screenshot):

I suppose the mention feature searches some Meta tags that match, which are invisible to us and quite frankly, meaningless to me when finding accounts.

There's also people's seemingly personal gmail addresses and other email addresses in there, I'm not sure that is entirely desirable.

• 6.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 31, 2020 11:10 AM
    Did somebody try to mention me? ;-)

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.

• 7.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 31, 2020 11:15 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Mar 31, 2020 11:15 AM
    Did somebody try to mention me? ;-)

Well, it just happens to be that the people I chat with most are @Michael A. Lowry, @Frank Muffke, @Tim Quakulinsky and @Barak Obama, so yeah​​​​​​, you were bound to be in that screenshot ;)

These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 8.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 30, 2020 08:48 AM
    One more. Can't mention some folks at all, no matter what I try.

• 9.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 31, 2020 11:16 AM
    Cross check: I could also not mention "Aslam Khan".

And I can not mention "Frank Muffke" when I search for him. If I search for "Wolfgang Br" I can mention him. @Frank Muffke: What have you done?

​​​​​​

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---

• 10.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 31, 2020 11:18 AM
    I was actually wondering something similar, whether Broadcom had done something: Wolfgang used to be in the list three or four times, now he's gone as Wolfgang. Only Frank left.

This is all highly confusing and frankly, also irregular.​

• 11.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Apr 01, 2020 02:36 AM
    Hi @Tim Quakulinsky @Carsten Schmitz

I simply changed my username some days ago... :-)

This function is weird in general - so mostly I do not use it....

cheers, Wolfgang​​​

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 12.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Apr 02, 2020 09:18 AM

This function is weird in general - so mostly I do not use it....​

Only you can describe a faulty function so lovingly! :-D

The function seems to work only in the frontend. Purely "cosmetic". In the backend, e.g. when searching for mentions, you can only get ahead with your old name. Or just look at the sender of the e-mail. Instead of not using the function " mostly", you should generally leave it alone :-o

And if you decide to change your name, you should also write "cheers, Frank" instead of "cheers, Wolfgang" - although the first users have already written to you with Frank... :-D

Best regards,

Wolfgang
    Tim

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---

• 13.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Apr 02, 2020 09:55 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 02, 2020 09:56 AM
    ​Frankly, I have no problem calling him Frank. Da muss man sich halt auch mal an Broadcom anpassen, wenn's einfacher ist. Wolfgang is eh just the way wie der Wolf sich bewegt. Solange wir ihn nicht Loretta nennen ... (n.b. to the mods: this is a totally benign Monty Python reference, kthx).

Sorry, ist Freitag. Also für mich jedenfalls :p

These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 14.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Apr 02, 2020 10:11 AM
    Hoi

laßts mich doch meine offiziell net bestätigten Schizo-Schübe ausleben!

Und zu eurer Beruhigung, Wolfgang, Frank, Karl Steinsch** udn Whitie Weißmann sind nur ein paar (und die umgänglichsten ichs, die ich hab).

Würd mich nur in Acht nehmen, wenn ihr Donald Ronald (Verschwägerter Stiefzwilling eines gewissen Präsis) begegnets oder Ed Cetera, vor denen würde ich mich in Acht nehmen.

Bin schon am Überlegen, ob die die ganze Partie nicht amal zu Brotkrumm schicken soll um die dort aufzumischen :-)
    habens grad lustig, alle supportzugänge wurden gesperrt, weil wir eine falsche Rechnung nicht bezahlt haben :-) :-)

Donald Ronald and Ed Cetera are not amused at all.
    I do not dare talking to them if they are really grumpy...

cheers, Frankgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 15.  RE: @-replies function broken

Posted Mar 31, 2020 12:26 PM
    More examples:

1. Blank/invisible text

2. Duplicate profiles, with the least appropriate ones listed first.