The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 21, 2020 04:05 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 21, 2020 04:08 AM
    ​Aloha.

Myself and some others, like fellow contributor @Michael A. Lowry have really laid it a lot into HigherLogic at Broadcom and due to a lingering feeling that nothing of that truly matters, I really feel like I should stop. But doing that has definetly never improved anything, and I am also kind of compulsive about this now (sorry, it's a trait of my tribe).

I notice that the Recommendation system is, in practice, next to useless as it currently stands.

• one, very few people ever use it. Personally, the highest number I have ever seen, I think, is two, which is really only marginally above what a single bit is needed for.
    • Two, it seems that at least some people at Broadcom are using the Recommendation mchanism to flag or count posts for the Broadcom contribution lists?
    • Three, people can (and do) recommend their own stuff, for whatever reason I don't know. Probably hoping for some kind of expedite, or a language barrier thing. Can someone ask the vendor why that's even possible?

In essence, that presently has a signal-to-noise ration of about Zilch.

Oh, and also, that has way to little granularity. Sometimes I just want to say thanks without Recommending some content. Like when it's of value to me, but not everyone. If only there were some kind of scheme for that, like icons for thumbs or hearts or big toes or something.

I would have totally let this go, were it not for the fact that multiple people have said that Gamification as neat as in Jive would at least partially eventually return.

Also, while looking for an old post of mine to inconspicuously test out some Recommend exploits magic, I found that my "List of Contributions" contains 98 entries, many of them drafts. I have written several hundred if not thousands of posts ranging through CA back to Automic itself. Is the list of contributions capped or broken?

Because that's how you'd get (even severely) disgruntled volounteers among simpletons like me; (seemingly) wiped contributions in places while not tracking any of it with Gamification.

$0.02 (that by now add up to a significant portion of the national debt),

Carsten

------------------------------
    Did you know? When you insert a single screenshot using the Slide Show widget, Corona Virus spreads uncontrollably!

Help save mankind - use the "insert image" button in the editor!

--

I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

--

These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
    ​​

• 2.  RE: I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 21, 2020 09:51 AM
    +1
    Or should I better recommend your post? ;-)

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.

• 3.  RE: I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 21, 2020 10:01 AM
    ​Ha! I heartily recommended that, because that's now META :)

• 4.  RE: I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 21, 2020 10:13 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 21, 2020 10:12 AM
    Furthermore, I am really rather positive people are just doing this to screw with what's left of my sanity at this point.

> Personally, the highest number I have ever seen, I think, is two,

# signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Does using the slide show widget for posting individual images spread Corona? Don't take the risk, use the "insert image" button in the editor!

Did you know? I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

"Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine" says: These contain very good advise on asking good questions. No, you do not need StackExchange for Automic, but asking questions the right way never hurts:

• 5.  RE: I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 22, 2020 06:27 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Apr 22, 2020 06:31 AM
    That's hilarious. I'd like to think that some folks at Broadcom share your point of view and have a sense of humor.

• 6.  RE: I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 22, 2020 06:26 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Apr 22, 2020 06:30 AM
    I presume Higher Logic just wanted to label it something different than Like to show that the platform is not a toy, but intended for business. Or perhaps they did it just to be different. Either way, because it's not labeled in the way people expect, they don't use it. If people don't use the feature, it's useless.

Jive has separate Subscribe, Like, and Bookmark features. They're easy to use and labeled in a straightforward way.

This is just another example of the fact that Higher Logic makes most of the things that were easy in Jive either more difficult or impossible. Where HL shares a capability with Jive, Higher Logic almost always implements the feature in an inferior way. And most of the social/gamification features of Jive are simple AWOL in HL. Coming soon? Yeah, probably not before we're no longer using Broadcom products.

Broadcom has declined to share user engagement stats from before and after the switch from Jive to Higher Logic. I think I can guess why.

• 7.  RE: I recommend thee! (plus: old contributions gone from list?)

Posted Apr 22, 2020 06:31 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 22, 2020 06:31 AM
    ❤️

i.e. expressing my "like" for the response using this commonly accepted and highly functional glyph ;)

# signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Does using the slide show widget for posting individual images spread Corona? Don't take the risk, use the "insert image" button in the editor!

Did you know? I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

"Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine" says: These contain very good advise on asking good questions. No, you do not need StackExchange for Automic, but asking questions the right way never hurts: