The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  How does member points work?

Posted Jul 05, 2019 11:27 AM
    How does member points work?

Asking because it seems the number of points people have randomly goes up and down. Points going up is expected but down is not, so would like to know how this works.

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 2.  RE: How does member points work?

Posted Jul 08, 2019 06:51 PM
    Hi David - From what I can tell the points work very similar to the previous system. Activities such as posting content, replying to a discussion, having a reply marked answered, etc. generate the most points. I only saw points greater than 0 as an option so don't know how points would go down. Maybe part of migration stabilization but that should be settling down. If you find a specific example you can post then maybe @Jason McClellan can take a look. ​

Chris Hackett
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.

• 3.  RE: How does member points work?

Posted Jul 09, 2019 09:45 AM
    It is not possible to give specific examples in detail such as date and number of points.

What can be said is in regards to the DX Infrastructure Manager community and what is shown on the main page for the most active users. After the initial migration points were significantly lower than in the old system, OK migration new system. But then it was observed that one day the points when down. Then day by day went up again based on usage. This happened a few times and the last time the most. My points were around 1300 and Gene had much more. Then just before posting this mine were down in the 400 range and Gene in the 300s. So this is something that has happened at least three times, points build up, then drop, build up, then drop, and for everyone shown at the community main page for the most active users. It can only be assumed it is effecting everyone in the community.   ​

Looking at the most active users for this community brings up another question since it seems points are based per community since you are the most active with 223 points.

Conclusions based on observation:
    1 points are randomly reduced for community users
    2 points are based on the community with a user having a different number of points for each community
    3 other than a community home page list of most active users, there is no way to see points

As my grandmother would say, if you are going to do something do it right, or don't do it at all.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: How does member points work?

Posted Aug 07, 2019 09:47 AM
    In early July I had over 80 points in the Easytrieve community. By the end of July I was down to 55

• 5.  RE: How does member points work?

Posted Aug 07, 2019 04:20 AM
    The CA Community based on Jive had a very clever achievement and award system, with complete transparency about which actions earned what number of points. There was a leader board page with top users, with a display showing the number of points required to reach the next level. Correct answers to questions were rewarded. There was a friendly air of competition. As one of the most prolific contributors, I had almost 40,000 points, and had nearly reached the 'Champion' level.

Then came the migration, and everything was lost.

• 6.  RE: How does member points work?

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 07, 2019 12:10 PM
    David,
    Points should not go up or down unless content is deleted.   We have a policy where no content should be deleted so I'll look into this with the vendor.    I'll be working with @Lenn Thompson, @Christopher Hackett to get this posted in the near future.    Thx ~jm​​

Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 7.  RE: How does member points work?

Posted Aug 07, 2019 12:44 PM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Aug 07, 2019 12:44 PM
    My understanding is the points you see in the community (as part of most active members) is just based on most recent activities. Your total points are in your profile -> contributions -> summary. That's as much as I know.

Chris Hackett
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.

• 8.  RE: How does member points work?

Posted Aug 07, 2019 01:06 PM
    That explains why my points went down. I did delete some of my postings.