The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

• 1.  Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 11, 2020 05:46 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 11, 2020 09:58 AM
    Clicking on a case link from an email from Broadcom Support, I was taken to a new “improved” version of the Wolken Case Management site for Broadcom Support. Predictably, it's user-hostile and difficult to use.

Here's one example. The default view for listing cases does not include the most important piece of information - the subject. The customize columns button (the little gear icon) is disabled.

Is the person responsible for user experience a sadist?

There is a work-around. Create a new view and customize the columns of the new view. You must enter at least one filter criterion, so if you want all your cases to be listed, just filter by your site ID.There's plenty of unused white space on the page, but unfortunately there is no way to resize the columns to make better use of this space, so the subject is almost always truncated.

• 2.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 11, 2020 06:12 AM
    I agree with you 100%. I had the same struggles and eventually found the same workaround you did for the cases view. Thank you for documenting the workaround for the benefit of other clients. I am sure it will save time for a lot of users.

On my wider screen there is even more dead white-space either side of the case view as the overall view seems to be defined a fixed size.

This is yet another example of a major change to the support application that has been dumped on the clients seemingly without any pilot/validation from the users. I have been a validation partner for several CA products for many years and I have repeatedly offered to test new versions of the support (and communities) applications, but have never been allowed to do so.

------------------------------
    Technical Consultant
    Redcentric PLC

• 3.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2020 01:37 PM
    Hi Owen, thanks for sharing your input on the new case management experience as well.

In regards to the white space, we did work with our development team to try to optimize the real estate and eliminate as much white space as possible while still being accommodating to a variety of screen resolutions. Working on a 23.5 in. monitor myself you can see perhaps there is still some room for improvement on the left and right nav.?

As for your interest in becoming a BETA tester, I'd be more than happy to loop you in on future designs to help with early feedback to ensure we're heading in the right direction. Let me know if that would be something of interest and we can get connected.

• 4.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2020 01:24 PM
    Edited by Steve Desaulnier Nov 11, 2020 04:04 PM

Hi Michael, 

First off, let me introduce myself as the business lead responsible for the recent Wolken case management enhancements. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on where we need to improve, otherwise, how can we make it better for all!

In regards to your feedback on the available columns, I'm actively working with our development team to: 

1. Include the following default columns when viewing My Open Cases (home page), My Cases and All Cases tabs (Case ID, Account Name, Product, Subject, Case Status, Severity, Created On, Last Updated)
    2. Add Account Name and Case Status to the customizable column chooser (they appear missing right now)
    3. Product name should be renamed to Product to be consistent

I'd also like to draw your attention to the following KB article that includes a detailed User Guide on how to use the new portal. Please do let me know if you have any other feedback on the new case mgmt. experience!

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=200562

• 5.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 12, 2020 03:58 AM
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. The link you provided in the same one I linked to in my original post.

I'm glad you understand some of the problems with the new site. In addition to the problems you mentioned, I can quickly identify a few more:
    • The view should not be constrained to a fixed width (or even one of several fixed widths). It should instead adapt to the size of the window/device.
    • Useless blank space should be eliminated to the greatest extent possible, to make the best use of display area.
    • The views should be more compact. Just one glaring example: the case details section now takes up more than twice the amount of display area as before.
    • The default highlight colors for messages in the case transcript should be less saturated. Ideally, it should be possible to customize these colors. More generally, it should be possible to change the color scheme. A dark mode would be nice. An option to eliminate the ubiquitous Broadcom red would be wonderful.
    • Controls should indicate clearly their type. E.g., the pop-up menu for setting the case priority does not have any indicator that it is clickable or that clicking on it will reveal a menu.
    • Columns should be resizeable and reorderable by drag-and-drop, as in almost all modern table UIs.
    From this user's perspective, the recent update to Wolken Case Management looks mostly cosmetic, and appears to have been motivated primarily by a desire to align the look-and-feel with the rest of the Broadcom support site. The new site seems like one that would make a good demo to upper management, but that was not really tested with actual users. It represents a step backward in usability. If people who actually use this site from the customer perspective had been consulted before the go-live, these rather obvious problems would not have been allowed into the release.

It's also quite disappointing that the user community was not given any advance notice or an opportunity to evaluate the new site before it replaced the old one. This is a repeat of what Broadcom did with the CA community migration. (There, Broadcom actually promised to preview the new community ahead of the go-live, and failed to deliver on this promise.)

My recent experience with Broadcom has been of a company that has its priorities mixed up. Tools that customers are happy with are replaced with inferior ones. Buggy software is tolerated and pushed to production, to be fixed much later if at all. Longtime staff are let go or alienated to the point at which they quit en masse. Customer support was outsourced to the lowest bidder, and technical knowledge among support staff is now almost nonexistent. Mediocrity is accepted time and time again. Excellence is a half-remembered dream. This so-called improvement to the Wolken Case Management site is just the latest in a long string of disappointments. A pattern is definitely emerging.

If Broadcom wishes to keep customers happy (and to keep customers), it will have to do better.

• 6.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 12, 2020 07:04 AM
    Hi @Steve Desaulnier,

I fully support what Michael A. Lowry says.

Best regards
    Keld.​

• 7.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2020 10:25 AM
    Thanks for the additional feedback Michael. We'll take these things into consideration as we further evolve the case management portal experience.

• 8.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 15, 2020 07:07 AM
    Hi @Steve Desaulnier

There is also a problem with the link to the KB articles.

When you click "See All Articles" link on this page https://support.broadcom.com/enterprise-software/product-page.html?productName=CA%20Automic%20One%20Automation, you get the following error:
    Sorry no results found

Pls fix this asap.

thanks in advance.

/Keld.​

• 9.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 06:06 PM

Hi @Keld Mollnitz,
    Yes that problem exists for all product pages right now. The "See All Articles" link should automatically list the latest KB articles for that product, like it did before. I logged an internal ticket for it at the end of last week and it is being investigated - a fix will be coming soon.
    In the meantime as a workaround on the SearchUnify page which shows "Sorry no results found" use "Click here to clear filters and perform a fresh search".
    Then:
    Under Products search for and select your product(s) e.g. "CA Automic One Automation"
    Under Sources select "Knowledge Articles" 
    Under the "order by" drop down (top right) change Relevance to Updated Date.
    Then you will see the latest KB articles per below.

Hope that helps

Lynn Williams
    Senior Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 10.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Dec 04, 2020 07:15 AM
    Hi @Lynn Williams and @Steve Desaulnier,

just to let you know that the link to the KB articles is now working. Thanks :-) 

"There is also a problem with the link to the KB articles.

When you click "See All Articles" link on this page https://support.broadcom.com/enterprise-software/product-page.html?productName=CA%20Automic%20One%20Automation, you get the following error:

https://support.broadcom.com/enterprise-software/product-page.html?productName=CA%20Automic%20One%20Automation​​"

• 11.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Dec 22, 2020 03:01 AM

Hi  @Lynn Williams and  @Steve Desaulnier,

It seems the KB articles page is broken again!! Under Products I cannot select 'my' product which is Automic.

Pls fix ASAP.

Thanks.

/Keld.

• 12.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Community Manager
    Posted Dec 22, 2020 03:37 PM

@Keld Mollnitz  -  what Automic Product are you referring to Keld?

Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 13.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 22, 2020 05:03 PM

At this time the Search page is also showing Automic products on the Products drop-down. Maybe there was some transient problem?

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia

• 14.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 15, 2020 07:16 AM
    Hi @Steve Desaulnier,

more road blocks..
    When you go to "My Cases" or "All Cases", it should also be possible to sort by column names, as in the default view ("My Open Cases" when you click Home).
    In the default view ("My Open Cases") it should also be possible to add/remove columns as in the "My Cases" and "All Cases" views.

Thanks.

/Keld.

• 15.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 02:27 PM
    @Keld Mollnitz sorting columns is currently supported and working. Please see the User Guide for a full list of instructions on how to use the new portal.

• 16.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 17, 2020 02:38 AM
    If column headings do not work in the standard way (click anywhere in the heading to sort), it would at least be preferable if the sort UI controls were visible. Invisible hover-to-reveal controls may look 'cleaner' in demos, but they are an affront to usability.

• 17.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Posted Nov 17, 2020 03:40 AM
    Hi Steve,
    columns Case ID, Severity, Subject, Contact and Created On are searchable, but they cannot be used to sort by

• 18.  RE: Wolken Case Management - default view does not include case subject

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 06:13 PM
    Edited by Lynn Williams Nov 16, 2020 06:18 PM
    @Keld Mollnitz,
    In addition to Steve's reply, to make the column sort indicator visible you need to move the mouse just to the right of each column magnifying glass icon.
    Hope that helps.​

Lynn Williams
    Broadcom
    Australia