The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

• 1.  Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Posted Apr 29, 2020 05:37 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 29, 2020 05:39 AM

Hey.

I wanted to share a visual representation of one of the many quirks that occasionally happen with the Broadcom tools, because this one is especially remarkable. Happens rarely, but had this a few times now, so I made a video.

This here is the support portal, and I was trying to compose a message when that happened. I was unable to rescue anything by copy/pasting, and had to kill the entire browser with multiple tabs, losing various work, and will now start composing my message all over again. No, that cursor having a seizure, that's not a video glitch. That's the actual editor glitch.

I know I know, IE (which this is) is bad. But it's company mandated. And it's not like it works fantastically with the other browsers: I came here to post this, and this is now my second attempt at embedding the video, because the video embed box where you paste your code hang (in the same way the "reply" box hangs when you click "continue editing" or "cancel" or something, and one needs to reload the page). And all that is with a Chrome engine, too.

I don't know why Broadcom's web offerings (made by third parties certainly) are so bad. I can only say that I use a lot of other web sites that have WYSIWYG editors that work just fine without constantly screwing up text, hanging, placing the cursor at seemingly random locations or otherwise acting out all the time. Those have even mention-features that work, and don't jump the cursor to below the embedded video when I type the @ character, as just happened.

I'm either in awe or disbelief how this can pass QA at the respective vendors, and the selection process, and I can't believe this is happening only to me.

​​Best regards and stay safe.

------------------------------
    # signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Does using the slide show widget for posting individual images spread Corona? Don't take the risk, use the "insert image" button in the editor!

Did you know? I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

"Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine" says: These contain very good advise on asking good questions. No, you do not need StackExchange for Automic, but asking questions the right way never hurts:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

• 2.  RE: Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Posted Apr 29, 2020 06:05 AM
    Season Two is now available as well.

• 3.  RE: Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 30, 2020 08:00 AM
    Hi Carsten, 

Thank you for taking the time to share your challenges in adding case comments via the Broadcom Support Portal. While Internet Explorer 11 is an older browser and Microsoft has stopped development on it, we do recognize many organizations still leverage and mandate its usage.

I've gone ahead and reported this is a bug to our IT development team (I was able to reproduce it) and we'll work to have this investigating/resolved. In the meantime, hopefully you can switch browsers to (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge) when needing to add case comments. 

We apologize for the inconvenience and poor customer experience.

Steve Desaulnier
    Broadcom Shared Services

• 4.  RE: Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Posted Apr 30, 2020 08:00 AM
    ​Thanks! :)

• 5.  RE: Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Posted May 25, 2020 04:26 AM
    Hi,

Any news?​

• 6.  RE: Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Community Manager
    Posted May 25, 2020 11:49 PM
    I've posted a note to the ticket with the vendor.   As you know each instance of IE 11 is configured based on the type of entity - .gov or a bank with the restrictions sometimes being tighter or not - either way the majority of the issues we see are JS blocking and anything considered risky.    The editor TinyMCE I've seen works very well in these conditions over the years with the majority of community platforms using it as their editor.    I'm guessing the result they come back with is they cannot reproduce what you are seeing - I could not on my IE 11 browser - but again our restrictions are different than your company.   Either way, I've pinged the support team on the ticket to see if they have an update.  Jason

@Steve Desaulnier

Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 7.  RE: Americas Saddest Home Video (is possibly one of the Broadcom support portal)

Posted May 26, 2020 04:28 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz May 26, 2020 04:30 AM

​Hi @Jason McClellan​,

I am a little disheartened by now. I mean, me posting video evidence is one thing. But then a Broadcom Employee has actually reproduced the issue already.

So how can all the possible restrictions of an IE even factor into this when a Broadcom Employee has replicated this using an IE11 that (supposedly, or at least I hope he'd tell us if it was) isn't abnormally configured?

(edit: I do value that you created a ticket with the vendor, even though honestly thus far not much seems to come from the upstream vendor in a timely manner).

I agree that IE11 is legacy and I would be the first to see it expelled off of the Internet for good sooner than later. But my company has declared it the default. While I can use other browsers (partly by breaking company policy), it's cumbersome because those are not the default browser, and have other restrictions for me.

In that light, thanks for your response and while everything you say is correct, it doesn't match for me with someone at Broadcom already having seen this annoying problem.

While we're at that, as already mentioned in the other thread but just as a quick heads-up, the first login of the day still reliably kicks me back to www.broadcom.com. So that other annoying issue is unfortunately also still ongoing.

Thanks, regards,
    Carsten

# signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Using the slide show widget for posting individual images is wrong. Please use the "insert image" button in the editor.

Did you know? I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

"Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine" says: These contain very good advise on asking good questions. No, you do not need StackExchange for Automic, but asking questions the right way never hurts:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html