The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Tip: How to do a FULL TEXT search workaround against DocOps documentation.

• 1.  Tip: How to do a FULL TEXT search workaround against DocOps documentation.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2019 03:12 AM
    Edited by Kyle R Aug 22, 2019 03:18 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd share my tip for doing a full text search against Tech Docs (Formerly DocOps) documentation, using a workaround.

In short, it is:  "Save the whole document section to a PDF, and then search it there."

Why do we want to do this? Doesn't Tech Docs (DocOps) and Google already have "search" functionality?

Well, yes, they do. And good functionality at that. However, there is a limitation in that only the first part of any web page is indexed by these sources. So if you have a key term that you are looking for that is at the bottom of a long web page, then these searches won't find it.

This can be a bit of an issue for site application administrators and support staff. Especially when searching for strings like error codes or database field names, which are usually very specific (and so would appear in a search string), but also be liable to be buried in a long list (and hence won't be found).

The Tech Docs search may return "Search returned no results" even for strings that exist.

Search returned no results

Please see my Knowledge Document for the full procedure: How to do a full text search against DocOps documentation

Then you can be doing quick fast searches that pull back results like this:

Full text search finds result

CAUTION: You should only use this method as a supplement in order to find data that does not change often.
    The Tech Docs sites are the primary source of information and are kept current. Please use Tech Docs before beginning any procedure, as there may be last minute revisions.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 2.  RE: Tip: How to do a FULL TEXT search workaround against DocOps documentation.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2019 03:26 AM
    Edited by Kyle R Aug 22, 2019 08:34 PM

Please note that Tech Docs is the main documentation site.

The example given for Service Management is against our prior DocOps site.
    The procedure is exactly the same for products under Tech Docs . . . it is only the site name that is different.

Tech Docs PDF download

However, all DocOps documentation will be moved to the main site at Tech Docs.
    If you still have a product that uses DocOps, such as Service Management, then please continue to go there for now.

Remember to look to Tech Docs at https://techdocs.broadcom.com/ for all product documentation, both existing and as more is migrated.

For the annoucement, see here:
    Broadcom Tech Docs is the new CA DocOps!

Sorry for any confusion!

Kyle_R.