The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  Case Management - pop-up window interrupts case creation to inform about zero matching KB articles

Posted Dec 18, 2020 04:53 AM

I understand Broadcom would like to discourage customers from opening cases when a solution is already available.

Is it necessary though, to interrupt case creation to inform the user of the zero matching KB articles?

• 2.  RE: Case Management - pop-up window interrupts case creation to inform about zero matching KB articles

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2021 11:27 AM
    Happy New Year @Michael A. Lowry.

We had discussed this design and decided on showing this on case creation to:

1. Allow the user a chance to change the search term and search before submitting.  Often times the subject is not really the keyword users search on and this is a chance to see if anything was out there before submitting, assuming they haven't already searched.  If they have already searched you can click "Still need help" - you aren't required to search again
    2. Allow a consistent experience on what one would see on Case submittal and on the support portal for "no search results"
    Most notably, we  capture where "no search results" are found and the search terms used and use this to improve content we know we have for better matching going forward. 

Cheers!
    Christie

• 3.  RE: Case Management - pop-up window interrupts case creation to inform about zero matching KB articles

Posted Jan 06, 2021 11:34 AM
    1. I do not see the value in interrupting case creation just to remind the user that he can search for KB articles matching different search terms.
    2. I suggest that you perform the KB article search silently, and interrupt case creation only if at least one high-confidence result is found.
    3. I look forward to more useful & timely KB articles in the future.

• 4.  RE: Case Management - pop-up window interrupts case creation to inform about zero matching KB articles

Posted Jan 22, 2021 08:37 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jan 22, 2021 08:37 AM
    Since this feature was turned on, I have opened half a dozen or so cases. In that time, the pop-up search window has not revealed a solitary search result. The feature has only ever slowed me down. It has never helped.