The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  Enabling bulletted list mistakenly changes line formatting

Posted Jul 29, 2020 08:10 AM
      |   view attached
    See the attached video for a demonstration of this bug.

• 2.  RE: Enabling bulletted list mistakenly changes line formatting

Community Manager
    Posted Nov 20, 2020 04:54 PM
    @Michael A. Lowry  - I have rolled all of these editor issues you noted into one ticket.   ~jm ​

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 3.  RE: Enabling bulletted list mistakenly changes line formatting

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 22, 2022 11:19 AM
    Closing this one editor issue with the vendor:

Hi Jason,

I hope you're doing well today. I wanted to touch base with you on the last text editor issue we had open.

Our team did an in-depth review on the issue of discussion post bulleted list formatting not working properly (https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=1195&MessageKey=34698692-6604-4eb8-b0ed-e952fbd62cbb&CommunityKey=f92efc9f-0875-4c00-ad19-f20b3185f059&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fbrowse%2fallrecentposts). 

We were able to replicate the issue but determined that the editor was working as intended in this case. Rather than only highlighting the hyperlinked text and then clicking the bullet point button, we suggest highlighting the whole sentence and then clicking on the bullet point button. When that sequence is followed, the bullet point includes the whole sentence instead of breaking the text strand apart at the hyperlinked word.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Higher Logic

Thank you
    Jason

• 4.  RE: Enabling bulletted list mistakenly changes line formatting

Posted Aug 23, 2022 04:00 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Aug 23, 2022 06:54 AM
    Hi @Jason McClellan. Thanks for the update.

I tested this scenario in several other rich text editors:
    • MS Outlook
    • MS Word
    • Apple Pages
    • Confluence
    • Jive
    • Wolken ServiceDesk

No other editor behaves the way Higher Logic's does. With every other text editor, it is not necessary to select the whole text that one wants to be turned into a list item. It is enough to place the insertion point in the paragraph one wants to make into a list item. This works the same in all of these editors, regardless of whether the text contains a hyperlink.

In the Higher Logic text editor, it works the same as in other rich text editors, but only if the paragraph doesn't include a hyperlink. The problematic behavior happens only if the text includes a hyperlink. Higher Logic appears to have difficulty parsing the HTML to determine the extent of the paragraph when the paragraph includes a hyperlink.

The behavior Higher Logic considers working as intended is thus both different from every mainstream rich text editor, and internally inconsistent even within the same product.

If Broadcom cares about consistency in the user interfaces it presents to its customers, it should not accept such poor software quality from its vendors.

​​

• 5.  RE: Enabling bulletted list mistakenly changes line formatting

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 23, 2022 10:21 AM
    @Michael A. Lowry-   As with many of the features and functionalities, Higher Logic is weak in -  we continually push for product enhancements.    I've introduced a feature request to allow TinyMCE editor premium and free plugs to be used if the instance if required by the customer. 

In a SaaS multi-tenant environment all upgrades must be rolled out to all tenants.    Back in my JIVE customer days,  I remember they had so many versions out either hosted by JIVE or On-Prem allowing customers to customize but it became unmanageable even with everyone paying for one-offs.

We have over 25+ feature and functionality requests is based on priority.   The vendor is currently working on more than a few but the lower requests like the editor​ enhancement or even a bug are lower on the list.   ~jm

Thank you
    Jason

• 6.  RE: Enabling bulletted list mistakenly changes line formatting

Posted Aug 24, 2022 04:51 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 21, 2022 05:53 AM
    My intuition is that most tenants would appreciate having a consistent and intuitive rich text editor that works similarly to most other editors. Evidently the developers at Higher Logic have a different opinion.

I would also like to point out that it took Broadcom & Higher Logic more than two years to reach the conclusion that fixing this bug was not a priority.