The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Comments on documentation pages

• 1.  Comments on documentation pages

Posted Jul 08, 2020 05:52 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 24, 2020 06:28 AM
    Before the migration from Jive to Higher Logic, it was possible to comment directly on documentation pages. I made many comments on individual documentation pages, providing additional detail or corrections to many topics. These comments are currently not visible and it seems the time I invested in them was wasted.

At the time of the migration, Broadcom announced that the existing comments, and the ability to add new ones, would return soon.

What is the current status of this effort?

Ping @Legacy User

• 2.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Posted Jul 09, 2020 09:55 AM
    This is sorely needed and really should have been accomplished well before now. 

I thought the entire DocOps initiative from CA, which was trying to align documentation updates with their Agile sprints, was working very well once they had the technical editors in place to manage the workloads - at least as far as Service Management and Process Automation documentation was concerned.

I thought the quality of the Communities' responses were much higher then because we could point to updated examples in the documentation and provide feedback where other support documents could be included.  It really was a force multiplier when dev, support, and clients were all involved.

------------------------------
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - TAoBB:AtED

• 3.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Posted Nov 24, 2020 06:28 AM
    This problem remains. Any news, @Elina McCafferty? ​

• 4.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Community Manager
    Posted Nov 25, 2020 09:50 AM
    @Michael A. Lowry  @Elina McCafferty                     ​​

Comments on Library Documents have been available since day 1.  I'll have to check but I am sure when we converted the DOC from Jive with comments to a Higher Logic Library Document the comments were populated.

Also, Comments are available as of last month on https://techdocs.broadcom.com

Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 5.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 25, 2020 09:59 AM
    Hi Michael:

As Jason noted a few moments ago, commenting on TechDocs, the replacement for DocOps, is now available. Two notes about the commenting feature:

• You do need to sign in to TechDocs./Broadcom in order to make comments.
    • Comments go to our managers, who forward them directly to the writer
    Speaking for Tech Docs, we are encouraged by comments, as it affords us the opportunity to directly engage with our customers/doc consumers in the process of continually improving our doc.

Bryan Shuman
    Senior Technical Writer | Mainframe Division
    Broadcom
    office: 412.808.2950
    750 Holiday Dr. | Pittsburgh, PA 15220
    bryan.shuman@broadcom.com | broadcom.com

• 6.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Community Manager
    Posted Nov 25, 2020 10:22 AM

Thanks, @Bryan Shuman -     Yes, for pretty much any commenting feature you have to log in these days due to the volume of SPAM.     Good to know the flow of how the comments are addressed on the TechDocs platform.    You should create a technical document on Community talking about TechDocs and the new engagement feature and what happens after someone submits a comment.   ​  Typically,  comments are more social in nature meant to address the content based on the user's opinion in comparison to a discussion or question on the Community platform.

Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 7.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2020 03:21 AM
    Hello @Michael A. Lowry

As Jason mentioned, the documentation in techdocs.broadcom.com does have this feature. However, the Automic Automation documentation is hosted in a different platform, where this feature is not yet available.

We are working on implementing a means for users to provide feedback and ask questions directly in the Automic Automation documentation. This should be available within the next few months. We'll post an update when it is.

As always, thank you for your input and ideas!
    Kind regards,
    Elina​​

• 8.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Posted Dec 04, 2020 04:29 AM
    @Elina McCafferty:
    Will the many comments made on previous documentation pages be restored?

• 9.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2020 04:47 AM
    Hi @Michael A. Lowry
    They will not, as the old comment boxes were a feature implemented using the former Automic community forum tools which are no longer in use.
    Best regards,
    Elina​

• 10.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Posted Dec 04, 2020 04:49 AM
    That's unfortunate. When the migration was announced, we were promised that the comments would be restored. We were not even given an opportunity to copy them or save them.

• 11.  RE: Comments on documentation pages

Posted Dec 05, 2020 08:01 AM
    Hi @Michael A. Lowry,
    the word 'unfortunate' is ​not strong enough in my opinion. For what its worth, I support your point of view.

/Keld.