The Water Cooler

View Only

Tip: Building a URL pointing to a specific comment in a Discussion, in CA Communities

• 1.  Tip: Building a URL pointing to a specific comment in a Discussion, in CA Communities

Posted Jan 13, 2015 11:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

You may want to point someone to a particular part of a really long Discussion thread. You can give them the URL, but if it is a very long Discussion, your colleague will still need to scan down the posts until they find the content you were referring to . . . if they find it.

You can point directly to a specific part of a Discussion thread by copying it's URL link.

For example, I could right-click the URL against the post that I want in this long Discussion, "Copy link address" and paste it into Communities:

Tip - Pasting to a point in a URL.png

Giving a URL which works:

https://communities.ca.com/message/241730801#241730801

but which has no description about what the thread is on.

On the other hand, if you use my tip here:

TIP: How to paste a Communities' URL and have it auto-title correctly always.

to strip out everything from the "hash" on, then you get a nicely formatted URL, but it links to the top of the page!

Best Way to Link to a Specific Post in a Discussion

1. Write up the text of the location you want to point to. It could be a new heading, or it could be the original thread name.

Tip: Paste into Notepad first to remove formatting, and repaste.

I'm going to go in this case with:

"WE HAVE A WINNER! ! ! >>> Update your Profile for a Chance to Win!"

2. Copy the link address as per the above screenshot. Here that is:

https://communities.ca.com/message/241730801#241730801

3. Select the text in (1), use the "Insert Link" (Capital letter "A" with a chain) in the editor and paste in the full URL from (2).

Tip - Pasting to a point in a URL2.png

"Insert" and you now have a formatted link that goes straight to the comment in the Discussion that you wished to link to:

WE HAVE A WINNER! ! ! >>> Update your Profile for a Chance to Win!

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Kyle_R.