The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Do not include original message in replies by default

• 1.  Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Aug 07, 2019 04:12 AM
    There is currently no way to prevent the entire original message from being included in replies.

I never want to include the entire original message when I reply.

Would you please disable this feature, or make it optional?

• 2.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Mar 31, 2020 09:47 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Apr 22, 2020 06:54 AM
    Any progress on this? This 'feature' is exceedingly annoying.

Today I realized that this problem affects not just discussion replies, but also private replies to message authors, where there is no possibility of editing out the included original message.

• 3.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 22, 2020 06:38 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Apr 30, 2020 06:55 AM
    Could someone from Broadcom please provide an update on this, and an ETA for the fix?

• 4.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 30, 2020 05:37 AM
    You still believe in Santa Claus too?

Or as Albert Einstein supposedly said, "The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results." ;-)

------------------------------
    Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.

• 5.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 30, 2020 05:42 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 30, 2020 05:44 AM
    @Tim Quakulinsky I'm all with you here, but purely speaking for myself here and expressedly not for Michael:

Einstein supposedly also didn't have a job description that, despite personal convictions, ​​required him to keep up an appearance of caring, with a management that likely expected him to try again and again and again and again and again until Einstein got so frustrated over Broadcom that he quit his job and started a farm.

;)

(edit: removed Javascript typing artefact - this broken editor makes me look like a legasthenic ...)

# signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Does using the slide show widget for posting individual images spread Corona? Don't take the risk, use the "insert image" button in the editor!

Did you know? I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

"Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine" says: These contain very good advise on asking good questions. No, you do not need StackExchange for Automic, but asking questions the right way never hurts:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

• 6.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 30, 2020 06:42 AM

Actually I hope that I did not violate the Terms of Use like "Be honest" and "Do not post, publish, or distribute any defamatory, obscene, infringing or other unlawful material [...]"

@Michael A. Lowry: Since you are concerned, please give me absolution. And please believe me: I will absolutely not violate against the rule: "You agree not to use this Site to make personal attacks, offensive language, or negative commentary against another contributor to this site in an attempt to provoke a negative response"!

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.

• 7.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 30, 2020 06:45 AM
    Personally, I think we're good.

I have recently been told that I am not violating the rules, even though "Act like the pro you are" is both vague and condescending. But I think we're getting extra points at the "be honest" thing.

;)

• 8.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 30, 2020 06:53 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Apr 30, 2020 06:54 AM
    I'd like to believe there are some people who still value honesty even when it's not comfortable or politically expedient. I'm doing my part anyway.

• 9.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Apr 30, 2020 06:54 AM
    Actually, reading (I'm sorry, I certainly meant re-reading) these ​TOS makes me wonder about so many things.

Each Site user must: (1) personally provide true, accurate, current and complete information on the Site's registration form

And everyone is also required to maintain it at all times. Great! So then why do we end up with legions of anonymous and semi-anonymous posters and @John Doe and the Cyber Prince? Unless, of course, their names are actually John Doe and Cyber Prince / TAFKACP. I mean no offense!

• 10.  RE: Do not include original message in replies by default

Posted Jul 08, 2020 06:00 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 08, 2020 05:59 AM
    This problem persists. Any chance that it will be fixed?