The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  Ideation search form – painfully bad

Posted Sep 13, 2019 04:12 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Sep 16, 2019 03:32 AM

Could someone please fix this form? It's painfully bad.

The layout is ugly, with mismatched border styles and menus directly abutting buttons.
    The menus are small and not resizable.
    Nothing is labeled. It's not even clear that this is a search form with optional filters.
    It's also unclear that the Add button is for creating a new idea.

Oh, and the page is broken too. None of the action buttons (Clear, Apply Filters, and Add) works at all.  Fixed 2019.09.16.

• 2.  RE: Ideation search form – painfully bad

Community Manager
    Posted Sep 13, 2019 11:13 AM
    @Michael A. Lowry - we have two projects in play -  First, we are working on a widget to fix search short term on product communities.   I'll check to see if this approach can be applied to Ideation section.   

Second,  Ideation at the vendor level is being revamped completely.   Our team has provided extensive feedback to the product team on our pain points and what we would like to see Ideation v2.    I've heard there may be a phased rollout.    When I have more concrete changes I'll post them as an announcement.  I'm sure we will upgrade over a weekend and have some downtime.

Lastly,  we need to purge the legacy of existing ideas in the system.   The sheer amount of migrated ideas is bogging down the system specifically when trying to search and or filter.   We intend to keep legacy content available but unsure on how to uncouple it from the active, working and other ideas.   Without knowing the ramifications, the project is in a holding pattern.   More to come.

Thanks
    Jason​

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 3.  RE: Ideation search form – painfully bad

Posted Sep 13, 2019 11:16 AM
    reply to reply - non admin account - test post

broadcom

• 4.  RE: Ideation search form – painfully bad

Posted Sep 16, 2019 03:00 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Sep 16, 2019 03:23 AM
    When will it be possible to create enhancement requests again?  It appears to be working again this morning.

You mentioned a planned purge of many ideas. Will you notify creators before deleting their submissions?

• 5.  RE: Ideation search form – painfully bad

Community Manager
    Posted Sep 16, 2019 09:22 AM
    Nothing is getting deleted.  It will be archived.

Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 6.  RE: Ideation search form – painfully bad

Posted Sep 16, 2019 05:29 AM
    Hey Michael,

the search form looks okayish for me. Tried it this morning in IE and Opera (Chrome, basically) and it has labels (inside the drop downs before typing or selecting something) and the layout isn't as messed up as on your screenshot. Here's how it looks for me:

Is it possible you're behing a proxy? I had similar issues with SalesForce at the time before I managed to convince the powers that be to let me circumvent it. In all fairness, back in the days I'm quite sure it even would've worked with the company proxy, too, were it not for the fact that CA had bolted every marketing analysis java script under the sun into each of their web pages - that lead to timeouts, which then led to incompletely loaded web sites.

Also, I second your call for informing folks before any kind of "ideas purge". And for the record, I am strongly oposed to the purging of the ideas in the first place.

Best,
    Carsten

• 7.  RE: Ideation search form – painfully bad

Posted Sep 23, 2019 04:34 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Sep 23, 2019 04:39 AM
    While we're at it:

It appears images and possibly other external ressources in ideas have not been migrated.​

This idea, for example, had an*) image **) in it:

Idea Details
    Broadcom remove preview
    Idea Details
    View this on Broadcom >

*) "an" image. Not the most reasonable image ever to be used, but this is the one where I notice the problem, and I am assuming if this image has not been migrated, other ideas and/or contributor's external ressources will now be broken, too.

**) in the comments

***) there's also still user names such as "Ça?atayAtabay609110". This is virtually one of the earliest things we pointed out.

****) on a related note, this editor is just so painful. I posted this, with the link. Then I went to edit it. While editing, like 20 seconds in, the javascript decides to replace the link with a box of content from the link, screwing up the editor in the process. I had to cancel my edit session, start anew, and try to beat the Javascript by editing in small increments
    . Just a very painful experience (Opera/Chrome on Windows 10 64 bit).