The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  Private answers to public questions

Posted Jul 05, 2019 07:27 AM
    I've observed a pattern that I hope can change: someone posts a question publicly to one of the discussion forums, and a Broadcom representative replies by private message instead of publicly. This deprives other forum participants of the answer. It also deprives members of the knowledge that others also have access to the answer.

This, combined with the forced moderation of new posts and the general lack of information on important topics, represents a significant change in atmosphere compared to the CA communities site. Where the CA communities fostered transparency and openness, the Broadcom community has an air of opaqueness and secrecy that - to be honest - runs contrary to the spirit of what it means to be a community.

I would like to encourage Broadcom to recommit itself to the principles of transparency and openness. I'm not talking about sharing strategic plans or trade secrets; just honest and plainspoken dialogue about the company's products & services.

• 2.  RE: Private answers to public questions

Community Manager
    Posted Jul 05, 2019 08:14 AM
    Michael -- do you have some examples you can point to? This is definitely not our intent. 

I'm wondering if the somewhat confusing reply dropdown is contributing to this.

------------------------------
    Lenn Thompson
    Community Manager, Mainframe Division
    Broadcom Inc.
    lenn.thompson@broadcom.com

• 3.  RE: Private answers to public questions

Community Manager
    Posted Jul 05, 2019 08:14 AM

Michael - It was not my intent to take our conversation to PM.  Personally, I've never seen this in a Community Platform and realized it when some of my posts were disappearing so I thought.  It turns out when you reply to sender, you do not reply to the sender within the discussion but it pushed it to PM.    The vendor is making a change to how you can post changing the language to be more clear.
    mGsCOKfeTySvHlFOgMkw_reply-to-sender.png
    The last thing I need is to monitor and respond to bug/issues in another channel.
    See below changes:
    New Looking Coming when the update is rolled out.

Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 4.  RE: Private answers to public questions

Posted Jul 05, 2019 09:27 AM
    Thanks for the quick an informative reply!

• 5.  RE: Private answers to public questions

Posted Jul 10, 2019 02:41 AM
    Hello,

same from my side, was so confused at first time which reply I've to use in discussions..

Kind Regards

Marian