The Water Cooler

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

• 1.  Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 03, 2019 05:36 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 13, 2019 10:51 AM
    Over the weekend, the migration of CA Communities content to the Broadcom community site was completed. The new site is quite different from the old one, and it will take some time to get accustomed to the changes. Below are a few preliminary observations.

Positive
    • Signing up for a Broadcom.com account was relatively painless, and old user-created content was correctly associated with users.
    • Most content was migrated and at least superficially looks pretty good.
    • The Higher Logic rich text editor offers some controls that were lacking in Jive, including indent, outdent, subscript & superscript

Negative
    • All links to forums and specific articles on the old site are now broken. Deep links do not forward to migrated content, but only to the main community page. (In our internal wiki, we have hundreds of links to content in the old CA community site. All of these links are now broken.)
    • Many links to other community content that appear in community articles are broken. Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4
    • Links to external content are broken. I.e., ones that begin with  
      E.g., all the documentation links in the article Documentation for AE, Messages, DB schema, Java APIs, etc.
    • List of contributions by user does not work (or was lost during migration).
    • User avatars & photos were not migrated.
    • User blogs were not migrated.
    • User status updates were not migrated.
    • Group memberships were not migrated.
    • Forum subscriptions were not preserved.
    • Events were not migrated.
    • User reputation and achievements were lost, or if we're generous, 'migrated' to a tiny set of HL equivalents.
    • Tags/labels on replies were completely lost.
    • Images were not always migrated successfully. Examples: 1, 2
    • Documents were converted to library articles, but it is not possible to create new documents. Previous version & edit history were completely lost.
    • Existing questions in Jive were migrated, but it is not possible to post new questions. It is not possible to filter for just questions.
    • HTML TITLE tags of specific articles contain only the forum name, not the subject of the article.
    • Article URLs are often not clean URLs. That is, they contain no human-readable description of the content, but only a computer-generated document ID.
    • No HTML TABLE editing functions in the rich text editor.
    • Block quotes now all have stylized double quotation marks; there is no way to disable these.
    • Code blocks were not migrated correctly, and existing language-specific syntax highlighting was often lost.
    • AE scripting syntax highlighting is missing.
    • The rich text editor for comments is rudimentary. There is no way to switch to the full editor or switch to a full page instead of a narrow, unresizeable modal dialog box.
    • Lots of wasted space and unnecessarily large headings abound. It's a lot harder than before to display a list of relevant content and see more than a few entries on the page at once.
    • The search box is displayed only after clicking the magnifying glass icon, a relatively small click target. Extra steps like this are unnecessary and reduce usability.
    • Search filters are far less capable than in Jive.
    • Search results are sorted in an illogical way, with replies often appearing before articles.
    • When clicking the Back button after visiting a search result, one is taken to a blank search page. The original search results are lost.
    • Posts are now moderated.
    • It’s no longer possible to edit the subject of a post.
    • There is no mobile app.

In general, the Higher Logic community platform appears far less capable than the Jive platform it replaces. Perhaps the platform is simply not being shown in the best light here. But whether due to core functionality or the specific implementation at Broadcom, the site does not look particularly good when compared to the Jive community site at CA. Both in terms of basic capabilities and design, it falls short. Also, the social features and gamification in HL are a lot less fun than in Jive. Because the platform has fewer capabilities, is harder to use, looks worse, and is less fun, I would not be surprised if user engagement dropped precipitously. This would be a shame.

The time and effort community members have devoted to creating content in the Automic and CA communities add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars of value for Broadcom. Right now it feels like the company simply doesn’t value the existing content at all, and doesn’t care if any new content is contributed in the future.

Some weeks ago, there were enthusiastic announcements of a forthcoming opportunity for users to test the new site prior to its official launch. This obviously never happened. If Broadcom had followed through on this plan, it could have identified some of the above problems prior to the go-live.

#automiccommunity #ca_community_migration #jive #higher_logic
    ​​​​​​

• 2.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 04, 2019 05:09 AM
    Edited by System Jun 12, 2019 09:43 PM

I whole-heartedly concur with Michael's assessment of both the positives and (unfortunately overwhelming) negative bullet points, and wish to add:

Negative:

• The whole "Ideation" is broken. Direct links to "Ideas" lead to empty pages, the idea search and pagination hangs (IE11 and current Opera, i.e. Chrome engine), and seemingly server-side:

This is a major one for me, since ideation has been billed as the way to make your voice heard for improving the product and plainly, Automic and CA had in many cases taken to direct what I consider bug reports into the ideation system as "ideas" instead. So I sincerely hope this can get fixed soon, old direct links included.

Apart from this, I admire Michael's dedication to compiling that constructive list.

I, on the other hand, have to conclude that within very short time, we've gone through another migration that places the burden to report the many things that are broken or missing on the user of the communities. Make no mistake, when I go through my old posts and the new community and ticket pages, I find more things broken or missing than just the ideation. But I can neither stomach, nor justify to my employer (on whose time I participated heavily in the old communities) to collate lists and examples once again.

I understand the desire to integrate everything into the portals of the current owner, but there's only so many times one can reasonably ask volunteers for understanding. At this time at least, it appears that the new software, as far as visible to us, seemingly is different enough to lack entire feature sets, and thus, at least for the time being, parts of content created by volunteers have seemingly been eliminated from view, such as people's profile customization and Michael's blog.

I am also somewhat lacking understanding for the fact that, after the scalding comments Automic received at FOKUS Germany on a previous breakdown of communication, while the announcements were plenty and timely this time, as far as I am aware, those only mentioned the communities. We here, at least, were in no way aware that the ticket system would be migrated, too. The first mail I see with an indication to that fact arrived Sunday late at night directly ahead of the migration. We've been burned at the time by the ticket migration from the Automic to the CA system, thus I'd really have appreciated an advanced warning that the support ticket system was moving into something else, too.

So I'm deeply sorry for so bluntly having to say this, but this contributor's understanding has now run out.

• 3.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 06, 2019 09:24 AM
    Edited by System Jun 12, 2019 07:59 PM
    Hi @Michael A. Lowry,

Thank you for your invaluable feedback. We are currently working on most of the issues you mentioned above. For example the External links should work now.  As you know there is always room for improvement post migration; I'll keep you updated as we are continuing to fix those issues.

• 4.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 06, 2019 09:37 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 06, 2019 10:12 AM

• 5.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 06, 2019 09:45 AM
    Edited by System Jun 12, 2019 12:25 PM
    I tested that link and it works properly for me. Can you please clear your cache and try again?

• 6.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 06, 2019 10:09 AM

I believe Michael refers to the various links in his document, those calling external-link.jspa?

In any case, several of those didn't load for me​. They load a Broacom banner, then load endlessly, or after a timeout seem to redirect to a portal page.

• 7.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 07:04 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 07, 2019 08:37 AM
    @Carsten Schmitz is correct. It's the links in the document that are broken.​

• 8.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 28, 2019 01:27 PM
    If you see links that do not work with embedded jive ode "external-link.jspa" please send me a link so I can hand edit.   We ran two scripts to clean up the embedded jive code to fix links but inevitably did not catch all links.  ~jm    @Jason McClellan

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Community Platform Owner, IT

• 9.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 28, 2019 02:35 PM
    Edited by Ben Croffut Aug 28, 2019 02:36 PM
    Sorry to highjack this but i don't see docs.automic.com and going to broadcom doesn't have any link to any docs. I assume something is changing but i don't see anything on community about updates. Any idea when we will see the docs back?

examples: https://casupport.broadcom.com/product-information-details.html?pname=CA%20Automic%20One%20Automation
    https://docs.automic.com not being redirected
    other casupport. links for ONE automation, or automation engine or other links all have blank documentation

• 10.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 28, 2019 09:20 PM
    @Diane Craddock ​  -  do you know where docs.automic.com migrated into?  ~jm

Thank you
    Jason

• 11.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 28, 2019 09:34 PM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Aug 28, 2019 09:36 PM
    Here maybe? https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/automic-process-automation/04-3-04.html

Or: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/automic-continuous-delivery-director-saas/1-00.html
    Chris Hackett
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.

• 12.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 29, 2019 12:24 AM

We checked the "techdocs" page earlier and did not see anything related to automation engine.

Thanks,

Ben 

• 13.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 29, 2019 03:48 AM
    Is it possibly just broken atm?

When I go to broadcom.com and click my way through I end up at the link others pointed out already:
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-automic/en

That still links to docs.automic.com, but the page simply won't load.

> Sorry to highjack this

No worries. I already had emails from my users complaining about the doc being inacessible when I came into the office this morning, too :)

• 14.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 13, 2019 11:15 AM
    All,
    Since the migration I am unable to get to the customer support portal so am currently unable to raise any support issues :-( all I get is the following page when I click on the customer support portal. Could this please be investigated. If you need any further information please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks in advance, Neil.

​​screenshot

• 15.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 29, 2019 03:41 AM
    ​You should likely open a case.

This looks much like the issue a colleague of mine had, it got fixed eventually by their Customer Care division. If you can't access the support portal, I suggest using the phone to open a case, they have phone numbers somewhere on the homepage.

Hth,

• 16.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 29, 2019 08:50 AM
    @Neil Rogers    You can open a ticket directly through the customer care link on casupport.broadcom.com.

Thank you
    Jason

• 17.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Nov 28, 2019 05:22 AM
    @Octavie_Chakoute_1958: ​Any updates on these issues?

• 18.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 10:51 AM
    Hello Michael,

Octavie is no longer with Broadcom and I have taken on managing these Communities.  As I hope you have seen, we continue to work to improve this new platform.  I see you have been working with Jason to highlight items you feel should be reviewed and most have been pushed to HL to be worked on.

Thanks
    Diane

Diane Craddock
    Broadcom Inc.

• 19.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 06:00 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 05, 2019 05:19 AM
    If I edit an existing document (e.g., Transport case file format), I cannot save the changes without first attaching a file.
    Error message: You have not uploaded any files

Update: A work-around is to attach a file, save the document, edit the document, click Next, remove the file, and then click Cancel. The file will remain removed.

• 20.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 08:25 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 07, 2019 08:40 AM
    More problems:
    • It's not possible to post a reply without including the entire original message. (One can delete the original message included in the reply later, by editing the reply.)
    • In lists of discussions, there is no icon indicating the content type (discussion, document, idea, question).
    • List of discussions lack columns for original author, date posted, and number of views.
    • It's not possible to sort lists of discussions by clicking on column headings.
    • The 'Automatically insert content preview for links' function is broken. The way Jive handles pasting links to other Jive content is much more useful - just convert the link to the document title, and include a content-type icon.
    • The menus in the rich text editor are designed like Windows 1.0 menus, and disappear if you move diagonally to your target. E.g., if you move the mouse cursor diagonally from Inline down to Code, the Inline submenu disappears and the Blocks or Alignment submenu appears immediately instead.
      vjqvVfrQeyHOhgNK1NUr_Styles-Formats-Inline.pngMoreover, three levels of nesting is probably too much, particularly when the top-level menu contains so few items.
    • Indenting does not work for selected sections of a block quote. Neither does inserting a block quote within a block quote.
    • The styles of tables migrated from Jive are corrupted. The widths and heights are not preserved, nor are the borders.
    • There is no raw HTML editor.
    • The ubiquitous Red color everywhere is ugly and stress-inducing. I understand the desire to plaster Broadcom's brand on acquired content, but this is too much.
    • There is no way to include code blocks with syntax highlighting.

• 21.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 10:04 AM
    > The ubiquitous Red color everywhere is ugly and stress-inducing. I understand the desire to plaster
    > Broadcom's brand on acquired content, but this is too much.

Yes. I knew this day would finally come!

Once, just once, my genetic inability to properly see most of the red spectrum finally pays off! :)

• 22.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 09:38 AM
    For some reason, some posts my Michael Lowry trigger HTML emails from "Michael Lowry via Broadcom" (which is correct), while others like the one shown below say "Lenn Thompson mentioned you" and "Lenn Thompson via Broadcom" eventhough the post was by Michael Lowry.

Maybe this is only for the mail notification when someone gets a mention. Could be, sample size too small :)

• 23.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 10:40 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 07, 2019 10:41 AM
    I saw the same thing yesterday. Octavie was listed as the sender even though it was a reply by someone else.

• 24.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 07, 2019 12:26 PM
    • parts of the profile information keeps disappearing after some time (e.g. website URL)

• 25.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 11, 2019 07:01 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 11, 2019 07:37 AM
    More problems:
    • There is no way to list ideas in a simple list view.
    • There is no way to list ideas, documents & discussions together. To search for or display these three types of content, one must now look in three different places.

• 26.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 12, 2019 05:07 AM
    ​Strange:

This morning, it only says "Thank you for submitting your message". It still doesn't show up right away, but it does also not say that it's in review anymore?

• 27.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 12, 2019 05:07 AM
    Hm, great, for THIS message I just sent, it did say that it's going into moderation. And this is happening in the same board, so I doubt it's due to a differing configuration.

• 28.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 13, 2019 06:06 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 13, 2019 10:46 AM
    Problems with the Ideation page:
    • The editor appears in a tiny modal dialog box that cannot be made wider.
    • The editor lacks advanced features, and there is no way to switch to the advanced editor as one can do with ordinary discussions.
    • When creating a new idea, the insert link function does not work; the URL field is not editable.
      (When one saves the idea and edits it, one can then go back and insert links.)
    • When one triggers the insert link function, the URL field does not have focus.
    • Searching for ideas does not work.
    • When the remove link function is triggered, the selected text is deselected. The text should remain selected.

• 29.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 13, 2019 11:14 AM
    ​All,

can anyone point me in the right direction, I am unable to raise a support request as I cannot access the customer support portal since the migration, I am taken to the page below. I have tried clearing my cache to no avail.

Thanks in advance, Neil. 

screenshot

• 30.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 13, 2019 04:50 PM
    @Neil Rogers  have you tried here? https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/esd/mycases
     ​

• 31.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 14, 2019 04:51 AM
    @Pete Wirfs thanks for this, I tried the link but to no avail, I was prompted to sign in then got the following error when I got through the credentials screen:-

​​screenshot

• 32.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 13, 2019 11:15 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jun 13, 2019 11:54 AM

Broken links in discussions

Links to ideas are broken. Here is one example.

Before the migration, this comment included a working link to the idea "XML schema description for AE export file format". The link was updated during the migration to this:

https://community.broadcom.com//viewidea/?IdeationKey=f3f3ac4c-4270-4ad3-9074-d44f504cbeb6

This link is incorrect and does not work. The correct link to the idea is:

https://community.broadcom.com/participate/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=f3f3ac4c-4270-4ad3-9074-d44f504cbeb6

• 33.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jun 14, 2019 05:26 AM
    Adding to the list:

- my colleague (same job, same company, same account) can browse 111 communities. I can see 29. Only discovered by coincidence because I could not locate the posts he talked about.

• 34.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 02, 2019 08:40 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 02, 2019 08:58 AM
    Has any progress been made on the problems mentioned above?

If not, would someone with authority and business acumen consider the potential value of migrating back to Jive?

• 35.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 04, 2019 04:16 AM
    ​Beyond the many things already mentioned and as of yet overwhelmingly unaddressed: does anyone else feel like the forum recently behaves ... for lack of a better word "posessed"?

Yesterday a click on "reply inline" led to a "how to you want to receive your email digest" screen, and when chosing an option, I was bumped back to the base URL, having to find the thread I wanted to reply to again.

Today, a click on "reply inline" led to a persistent prompt asking me whether I want to abandon my draft. I elected to save that draft (NOT having typed anything), but when I curiously reviewed it in "my contrutions", it appears to be entirely empty.

My best working theory as an IT professional is that the spirit of Jive still haunts the class files, not yet ready to let go.

• 36.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 05, 2019 07:26 AM
    I received a reply from one of the forum admins. I can provide the following information.

Broadcom:
    • will continue to use Higher Logic, despite its shortcomings compared to other platforms.
    • will not migrate back to Jive and will not migrate to Khoros (the successor platform to Jive for external communities).
    • sees potential in Higher Logic.
    • plans to work with Higher Logic on updates.
    • expects an update from Higher Logic in August 2019.
    • provided no details about the content of the August update.
    • provided no feedback on any of the problems described above.
    • provided no ETA for fixes to these problems.

This is discouraging, but I hold out a faint glimmer of hope that things will at least improve. As I told the forum admin though, I no longer find it enjoyable to work with the discussion fourms. It used to be fun. Now it's just toil.

• 37.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 05, 2019 08:53 AM
    Links to specific comments on the CA communities site are not correctly handled. Links to the parent discussion thread work.

Does not work:

https://communities.ca.com/thread/241802115?commentID=242092191#comment-242092191

https://communities.ca.com/thread/241802115?commentID=242092191

Works:

https://communities.ca.com/thread/241802115

• 38.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 05, 2019 10:41 AM
    Here is an example of code blocks that were not preserved.

https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=792593#bm6239cc69-3a3a-466c-bdb1-94787ceb719f

• 39.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 08, 2019 10:55 AM
    Will the moderation actually be relaxed at some point?

Also, a thread should probably indicate when there is further posts pending moderation, and the moderated posts should possibly include the date when they were posted by the user, not when they leave moderation, and should be in order of posting, not in order of release from moderation (I suspect this is not the case).

I mean, let this serve an example of redundancy by moderation delay:

Enterprise Software - Enterprise Software
    Broadcom remove preview
    Enterprise Software - Enterprise Software
    Hidden page that shows all messages in a thread
    View this on Broadcom >

https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=e7a0de3b-1302-4bb0-b29b-b785735b22bf

There's literally six people who gave in principle the same answer.
    Also, my text is now blue and my link has been converted into an image with a description that does not match the page I am linking to. This software sure has quirks ... :(

• 40.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Jul 11, 2019 09:03 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 12, 2019 07:34 AM
    Is anyone at Broadcom monitoring daily community usage statistics?
    • Active users
    • New discussions
    • Replies
    • Answers to questions (& time to correct answer)
    My impression is that these numbers plummeted after the migration from CA to Broadcom.

There was a real sense of community in the CA forums, and a sort of critical mass that made the community self-sustaining. I fear if Broadcom doesn't address these problems soon, people will just drift away, they'll stop checking in so often, and the critical mass will be lost. This is a critical time, and I hope Broadcom appreciates what they risk losing.

• 41.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 26, 2019 03:58 AM
    I wonder: Is anyone from Broadcom ever making good on that hard fought promise that someone would look at this thread (and his companion thread about the support site) and somehow try to work on the many issues, or at least talk to us about it?

I'm seriously growing tired of using this forum.

Every third post or so, the loading animation and the whole page hangs. Every second time you format a word, like cursive or fat, the editor garbles up the text. I'm drafting everything in notepad.exe by now. Every second time you insert an image, it screws up and leaves some odd div behind so one can only cancel the post and begin anew. And yes, this is across multiple browsers, including current Chrome engines.

This point-of-sale forum software is nowhere near fit for 2019. I've had much more streamlined user experiences with stuff like phpbb ten years ago.

Thanks.

• 42.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 26, 2019 04:27 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Aug 26, 2019 04:27 AM
    This reply from @Jason McClellan suggests that the most we can hope for is minor incremental changes & bug fixes, not dramatic improvements or the return of absent features.

No doubt the team at Broadcom is doing the best they can with the tools they have. The Higher Logic platform simply does not seem capable of delivering many of the capabilities of the platforms it has been chosen to replace. I suppose HL might crawl slowly toward the feature set of the old community site, but even that is going to be a long slog.

And anyway, if recent history is a guide, HL will be replaced by something else in a couple of years.

#automiccommunity #ca_community_migration #jive #higher_logic
    ​​​​​​

• 43.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 27, 2019 10:51 AM
    @Carsten Schmitz  - opening a ticket with vendor.  I have not seen any issues with the editor BUT they recently rolled out enhancements to shrink the base tools and add expand for advanced features.   I'm not sure if that impacted usability but tinyMCE has been around forever and is stable.   If there is any other issue you are seeing with the editor please let me know.     Thanks  Jason ​

I have a long list of bug issues, and prioritized examples that HL is aware of and is on their roadmap.  @Michael A. Lowry  - improvements and patches are weekly, larger rollouts are monthly and quarterly.   My team met with the product manager for Ideation yesterday.    HL is working on a full revamp to close the gap and align ideas closer to the product communities sort of more like "jive."     I know it seems like we are working at a turtles pace but it's difficult to change a tire while you are speeding down a freeway.  Just saying.    You patience and support of our team is what keeps us moving and pushing forward.    Thank you.. ~jm

Thank you
    Jason

• 44.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 28, 2019 03:05 AM
    @Jason McClellan thanks, much appreciated on that editor ticket.

My company, like a few others in the Automic realm I keep talking to, enforces IE11 by group policy. But I have composed this thread with Opera 62.0.3331.116, which is a Chrome engine. That gave me an indentation issue I see with several browsers, it took several attempts to bring up your name with the typing of the string "@Jason Mc" (initially wouldn't find it), the text I was typing turned white on white briefly at some point, and there was a scrolling issue where using "arrow up" to go up one line would make the scroll bar and view port jump all the way to the top. I have some plugins, but no proxy, but I'm sorry, while using Opera a lot I don't recall any editing issues of this sort with this browser and any other web forums.

> but it's difficult to change a tire while you are speeding down a freeway.

Understood. But sorry, can not resist this: Meanwhile on a freeway (or "Autobahn" as it may), a tour bus is steadily pushing on with a flat tire. Passengers in the back are rather dizzy and keep asking to take an off ramp, assess the situation and change the tire. And the airco. And the seats. The vocal handful of the passengers in the back of the bus did so for quite some time, while waving their tickets in the air, and after several years on a bus anyone could really use a pit stop :) The bus company keeps swapping out the driver.

In all seriousness, I know your team and yourself do not have an easy job and we're sometimes not giving people at Broadcom the easiest time, but please also understand that we've been through this exact same narrative before, and before that (CA, Salesforce, etc.), and the web resources (knowledge base, ideation, forum software etc.) is just one of the areas we've been through that narrative with.

Broadcom seriously needs to heap resources onto this and be more proactive.

If you allow one example from top of my head (certainly not the highest impact issue, but possibly a good example): Just yesterday I was looking up a thread and the poster's first name is RnLDg8KpZMODwqlyaWM=. From top of my head, that issue is already described somewhere, likely even in this thread. In the wake of a (rather high) escalation, you guys fixed this on one account, that of a colleague of mine who was part of the escalation. Cheers for this. But nobody fixed RnLDg8KpZMODwqlyaWM=, or the many other accounts with the same issue. I presume they all need to come forward individually, or, most likely, resign to being RnLDg8KpZMODwqlyaWM=.

But I am grateful for the information on those vendor updates to look forward to, we needed things like that.

Thanks!
    Carsten

• 45.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Aug 28, 2019 04:11 AM
    I agree with @Carsten Schmitz. This is not the first time that Automic customers have been expected to endure a migration like this. The company inflicts these migrations on its customers (and employees!) every few years. When these transitions go smoothly and bring new capabilities, they are tolerated and even welcomed. The migration from the Automic community site to the CA community site was an example of a successful transition. It was completed without fuss, problems were promptly resolved, and the new site had more features than the one it replaced, not fewer. It was actually an improvement, so it was widely accepted by customers.

The change from Jive to Higher Logic has unfortunately been a very different affair. This transition has represented a big step backward. Higher Logic is simply not as capable, mature, or polished as other similar platforms. With this migration, Broadcom is asking customers to be patient not only while the inevitable kinks of any migration are worked out, but also to be even more patient in the plaintive hope that someday months or years from now, a fraction of the removed features may be added back.

Whatever the reasons behind the scenes for this transition, and whatever the technical or logistical challenges Broadcom is facing, from the customers' point of view, its a downgrade.

I have a good deal of sympathy for those of you at Broadcom who are doing their best to make this work. Believe me, I know what it's like.

But I must be honest too: there are other options out there, and sympathy does not drive business decisions.

• 46.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 27, 2019 10:59 AM
    Yes, @Michael A. Lowry  -   coming off migration while combining two community the analytics are mixed as a starting point - then migration of URLs and Domains hit the Community,  then reset pw hits the community and the numbers plumment to ZERO, the day one they start building again.  We are about 45 days out snapshot of where we are and where we are heading but the true numbers that matter form around 120 days when we will have our internal dashboards up and running for four Broadcom divisions.   Enterprise Software, Mainframe, Brocade and Ethernet. 

The metrics you mentioned are included and so far we have seen a large percentage of users migrating without issues.​

Thank you
    Jason

• 47.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Sep 02, 2019 03:55 AM
    @Jason McClellan wrote:
    The metrics you mentioned are included and so far we have seen a large percentage of users migrating without issues.​
    Migrated users is one metric. What about actual engagement metrics?​ It's been a few months now, so you should have some representative numbers. (And to be fair, you should probable exclude from these stats any posts primarily pertaining to the migration or the new community site.)

• 48.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Posted Sep 11, 2019 07:51 AM
    Adding one more:

I noticed the list of contributions in the profile appears to have a rather small cut-off.​ Was looking for an older post, it appears with the pagination (three pages, in this case) it only goes back to Jul 25, 2019 - while I'm sure there was content by that person before.

• 49.  RE: Migration from CA to Broadcom community site

Community Manager
    Posted Sep 12, 2019 07:54 AM
    Hi Michael,

I moved this discussion to the Water Cooler so more people can benefit from the outcome.

Thanks
    Diane

Diane Craddock
    Broadcom Inc.